• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Keeping outdoor bun inside after spay

louise and Gus

Wise Old Thumper
I have had a bun who was dumped at my vets for a while now (will put her story and pics up later) anyway she is being spayed on Friday, she is an outdoor bun but obviously will be staying in after the spay, are there any risks with putting her back outside after, and any ways to make it less stressful for her. (Her hutch is in a sheltered position, with cover and snugglesafe)

Personally I wouldn't get her spayed just yet if she can't stay in until spring, it's just too bitterly cold.

My bun Roxy is 6 months now, but I'm not going to get her spayed until the spring as I've got no room to bring her in now.

The thing is that if she has been in the vets for a time then it's warm there and she will need keeping indoors after her spey for at least seven days bed rest and I think you could have a problem putting her outside after her being in the warm for all that time, is there anyway she can stay inside or do you have a shed that you could put a heater in?

Personally, I would bring her into a cold, but sheltered room for a few nights - until post spay check up - with a sungglesafe. That's warmer than outdoors, but not so warm as to affect her long term. She can go back outside with snuggle safe then.

If there was a prob & spay wound not healing nicely she might need to stay in longer

She has been outside since she was found except one nights at the vets.

If there are any problems and she has to stay in for longer it isn't a problem but ideally I'd like her to go back outside as she has more room..

Personally, I would bring her into a cold, but sheltered room for a few nights - until post spay check up - with a sungglesafe. That's warmer than outdoors, but not so warm as to affect her long term. She can go back outside with snuggle safe then.

If there was a prob & spay wound not healing nicely she might need to stay in longer

This isn't a problem as out flat has no heating :shock::shock:

You could keep her in a cool room, with heating off for a few days and im sure she will be ok.

And make sure her hutch is sheltered from the weather, and has lots of bedding :D

:wave:

I'm glad you said this. I was just reading the replies and thinking I must be a tough bunny mummy :oops: but I agree with this. ^^^^

As you know Lou, Alfie and Bubbles were indoors here for a couple of days while we were trying to bond them with Max last December and they went straight back outside afterwards. They were also indoors for about a week the winter before (we had heavy snow at the time too) when Bubbles needed a dental but they went back outside after that too.

It's slightly different, I know, as they had each other for warmth, but I (personally) would think she would be ok with snugglesafe, plenty of bedding etc.

I kept the heating off in that room and also had the windows wide open for a few hours before popping them back out.

Oh, and hurry up with the photo thread please. ;) :lol:

im worrying about this to! i have 2 females due to be spayed around january time, i was worried about the temp change after a short stay indoors. i may try to put it off for a couple of months but am worried that thay may fight if the hormones kick in. X

I'm glad you said this. I was just reading the replies and thinking I must be a tough bunny mummy :oops: but I agree with this. ^^^^

As you know Lou, Alfie and Bubbles were indoors here for a couple of days while we were trying to bond them with Max last December and they went straight back outside afterwards. They were also indoors for about a week the winter before (we had heavy snow at the time too) when Bubbles needed a dental but they went back outside after that too.

It's slightly different, I know, as they had each other for warmth, but I (personally) would think she would be ok with snugglesafe, plenty of bedding etc.

I kept the heating off in that room and also had the windows wide open for a few hours before popping them back out.

Oh, and hurry up with the photo thread please. ;) :lol:

Yeah I was planning to put her back outside, hopefully she'll only be in a couple of days anyway, I will monitor her and if it's a problem I can bring her back in

i had my 2 speyed back in feb and they stayed in the porch way for 2 nights, which is pretty cool. then they went back out and were fine. :)
it was a rainy time tho and not as cold as at the moment.

Here she is...she was trying to eat snow after dragging straw all over her run :roll: will get some close ups at the weekend, she really is a sweetie :love:

Gretchen.jpg

Wow, Steve is going to love her :lol::lol: Maybe I shouldn't show him the picture :? :lol:

How bad are her dental problems just out of interest....

Back