• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

A Few Q's about bringing bunnies indoors

Bitzy

Mama Doe
:wave:

Now that Dizzi and Rascal are indoors I just wondered what I should expect to happen ....... I've turned the radiator in their room off so they're not too hot because they currently have their winter coats ..... how long will it take them to start moulting? (If indeed this is what will happen).

Once they start moulting, can they stop midway through and keep their warm coat?? Like say if the temps plummet and they feel a bit cold in that room with the heating off - or will I need to put their heating on once they start moulting?

Will moulting when they shouldn't normally be moulting affect them at all? Mood etc?? I know when birds moult it can really take it out of them and they can get a bit stroppy, is it similar for buns??

If they do start to moult but there's a lovely sunny warm day, would they be ok going out for a run round the aviary??

Thaaaaaaaaaanks Jo x

:wave:

Now that Dizzi and Rascal are indoors I just wondered what I should expect to happen ....... I've turned the radiator in their room off so they're not too hot because they currently have their winter coats ..... how long will it take them to start moulting? (If indeed this is what will happen).

Once they start moulting, can they stop midway through and keep their warm coat?? Like say if the temps plummet and they feel a bit cold in that room with the heating off - or will I need to put their heating on once they start moulting?

Will moulting when they shouldn't normally be moulting affect them at all? Mood etc?? I know when birds moult it can really take it out of them and they can get a bit stroppy, is it similar for buns??

If they do start to moult but there's a lovely sunny warm day, would they be ok going out for a run round the aviary??

Thaaaaaaaaaanks Jo x

i cant answer most of the questions but the bit about moulting affecting them i can, sort of.

It takes up a lot of energy to moult. I tend to feed a tiny bit more whilst moulting to keep energy levels up. That was some advice i got here.

Biccy was a bit of a grump while he was badly moulting. Ginger, i've not really seen her in full moult, only towards the end of hers.

Not sure about the moulting question, but I have found that when you first bring buns indoors they do tend to drink a lot of water to start with :?

Back