• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I'm so worried

Justine

Mama Doe
I have 2 outdoor buns, Snowy and Bobby. I am so worried about the sudden drop in temperature this early in the winter. I saw on another thread that buns with a hidden illness might not handle the weather too well.
Some of you will know the story behind Bobby, of how I rehomed him. I know that some of his brothers have died from a stomach problem which could possibly show up at any time.

Should I bring them in for the winter or will they be ok?

I have to say that I would bring in any Rabbit, these freezing temperatures are extreme. At the very least I'd move the hutch into a shed/garage.

I would worry far too much if I had Rabbits outdoors atm. But that is just my personal opinion.

Where do they live usually? They have a playhouse don't they? Is there somewhere in the house that they can stay until spring as if they come in then it'll be for a few months! My shed buns seem to be coping fine at the moment. I think if he is showing no sign of being unwell at the moment I would leave them out and just make sure they are warm etc and keep a close eye.

Where do they live usually? They have a playhouse don't they? Is there somewhere in the house that they can stay until spring as if they come in then it'll be for a few months! My shed buns seem to be coping fine at the moment. I think if he is showing no sign of being unwell at the moment I would leave them out and just make sure they are warm etc and keep a close eye.

Yes they are in a playhouse Ali but it seems just as cold in there than it is outside.

I would say if you are thinking about bringing your bunny in that you need to be careful with the sudden change in temperature from being outdoors in the freezing cold to suddenly being in a heated house with radiating temperatures. A friend of mine did this a few days ago and rabbits being rabbits went into stasis - the vet admitted the sudden change in temp could of been attributed to the onset of stasis.

My bunny lives outdoors, in sept he had a severe bout of digestive upset due to the long term use of antibiotics for his ear abscess. I asked my vet if she thought moving him in would help but she thinks any disruption to his routine may upset his digestive tract. SO instead i've opted to keep him outside. I have put cardboard boxes in his hutch, lined them with newspapers, added straw and hay and a snugglesafe. Over the top he has an old duvet, a blanket, tarp and at night he has night shutters.

I think I am going to move him into the garage toward the end of the week if it does snow here though.

xx

Back