• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Weather and buns

ScienceGeek

Warren Scout
Not sure if this thread will be a good idea or not, but here goes...

There are alot of threads around with people discussing whether people should bring buns indoors or shut them in at night with all the bad weather, and I was just wondering if anyone had actually experienced bunnies who got ill directly because of the weather?

I guess my hope is that the answer to this question would be no, and therefore put a lot of peoples mind at ease. However, if the answer is yes, I might have just made things worse :oops:

Alvin got stasis last time the temperature suddenly dropped enough for snow and i think it happened the year before too :(

Alvin got stasis last time the temperature suddenly dropped enough for snow and i think it happened the year before too :(

i so hope this doesn't happena gain this year Donna.

Having a bunny who's had a couple of stasis attacks, i feel for you.

Oh rubbish, I really hoped this thread would go the other way!

Hows Alvin going with the current weather? Hope he's OK.

i so hope this doesn't happena gain this year Donna.

Having a bunny who's had a couple of stasis attacks, i feel for you.

im trying not to let my stress levels affect him, but i am actually very worried. the vet said she thought it was because they hunch up to stay warm and it slows the gut..

my only hope is this year i have his diet right and his tummy keeps going even if it does slow... no chance of getting to a vet in this snow either :shock: the car is almost disappeared and we stupidly moved here without getting a shovel ready for this weather.

I think it depends on whether or not bun has a hidden or not so hidden illness that is exacerbated by cold weather. Generally poorly buns are less able to maintain body temp full stop, but things like arthritis and respiratory infections which may be hidden from the owner can be greatly exacerbated by sudden cold weather. Winter last year Nino was in bloat/stasis every single weekend following the cold spell in January, it went on for several months, and although he had a history of bloat he had never had so many episodes so close together. It was discovered by accident on an emergency Xray that he had severe arthritis and is now on daily pain relief and anti-inflammatories, as a result, this year, despite the cold, he has been fine (touch wood) :D He is a house rabbit and so even indoor buns can be affected by the change of temp if they have an underlying condition.

Alfie used to lose weight over winter - one year he got quite seriously thin - the follwoing years I weighed him weekly & although he sometimes dropped, it was never serious. He died a few weeks ago (not weather related) but I agree that if a bun has an undetected problem it could be an issue

This is my bun's first winter outside, so I'm a bit :?:?:?:?

Back