• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Throwing food bowls

stranger23

Mama Doe
Ok all of the sudden my lot have started throwing their food bowls around, Susie is the worse as she HAS to put hers in her water bowl! the boys arent so much of a problem as they empty their food bowl first and i know i cant stop them as they have to have a plasic one that sits on the ledge as thats the way the cage is designed but i think im going to have to get Susie a heavier bowl to stop her, any thoughts on why they would suddenly start this? they have loads of toys and are let out every day to play

where are they? Indoors or Outdoors
What size cage do they have?
Are they locked in said cage?
Do they do it at a particular time of the day?

My four all used to do this when they were younger, every morning I'd find they'd thrown their bowls down the ramps of their hutches.

They stopped doing it as soon as the hutches were moved into the aviary and they weren't shut in the hutches overnight and could come and go as they pleased. I think they were just amusing themselves :)

Spenser went through a phase of doing this, particularly when I was weaning him off curly kale. He is strong wenough to tip heavy ceramic bowls if he really wants to. :shock: He doesn't seem to do this now, thankfully, although he did throw an eggbox downstairs last night.

They are indoors, they are in cages i have made using the C&C type they are 29inches wide by 29 inches high and 29 inches deep, its on two levels so they have a run bit at the bottom to play in while they are in the cages and a ramp up to the second floor where there is space for a bed and the food and water bowls altho it doesnt sound very big they are quite spacious as i have baby dwarfs and the cages will be getting bigger soon :) (getting more panels for xmas) Susie only has a little food bowl at the moment and i keep topping it up but im trying to make her eat hay (she doesnt seem to get the idea) the boys have a plastic one also that fits on a plastic shelf in their cage its about the size of a cat bowl they are given loads of hay all day and given food in the morning and veg in the afternoon, the boys throw theirsbv during the night and this morning while i was on the school run and Susie does hers all the time when i fill it she will go have a nibble then pick the bowl up and tip out most of the contents and then keep throwing it until it lands in the water bowl. Maybe its coz they are still young? they boys are just over 4 months and the girl is only 9 weeks, the rabbits are only in their cages while my kids are around and over night until they can be trusted to be let roam free all night (i think ive got the room bunny proof then they find a hole somewhere to sneak in) Susie gets let out for 2 hours during the middle of the day and later after the kids go to bed for about an hour and a half (or until she flops not normally longer than 2 hours) and the boys come out when she goes away until we go to bed normally a good 3/4 hours

Back