• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is my baby bunny pregnant? If so what can I do to help?

ripminnie

Wise Old Thumper
Hi everyone, I posted on here last week about separating my two bunnies Olly and Honey, as Olly had started pestering Honey. As soon as I noticed Olly's behaviour I separated them, but I think it might have been too late... Honey is quite a bit bigger than Olly although they are brother and sister and started off the same size, so I'm so worried that she's already pregnant :( at 14 weeks she's obviously too young to be spayed so would have to go ahead and have the babies, but she just seems to have gone really scared of everything - she seems to be constantly worried and doesn't want to be stroked like she used to, and lies down a lot. Olly is in his cage next to her so they can still see each other, although they seem to be fine living separately, they're not trying to get to each other or anything. Have any of you had experience with bunnies being pregnant so young? What can I do to help her if she is? I know she would need a nest box but if i give her a box full of hay she'll just wee in it like she does in her litter tray! Haven't a clue what else to do and I'm really worried about her :(

Pepper was spayed at 12 weeks, so 14 isn't necessarily too young. I think it depends more on their weight. Perhaps it's worth taking her to the vet?

Isn't an emergency spay ok if she's possibly pregnant? Maybe someone on here knows?

I got Hattie at 14/15 weeks and she had babies a fortnight later.

My vet doesn't spay until they're 6 months, although he castrates males at 3 months... is it risky for her to have babies so young or is it just that she won't be a very good mum?

My vet doesn't spay until they're 6 months, although he castrates males at 3 months... is it risky for her to have babies so young or is it just that she won't be a very good mum?

Spays are normally carried out at 6 months but your vet should agree to spay her at 14 weeks based on the fact that she could be pregnant. 14 weeks is very young to be a mum so personally I would go with an emergency spay over letting the pregnancy go ahead in such a young bunny.

I have no experience of young bunnies getting pregnant but I have a couple of rats who were allowed to fall pregnant in a pet shop. Both are very small girls, one weighs half of what one of my other girls the same age weighs which I attribute to the fact that they became mums before they stopped growing.

Would it not be dangerous to spay her so young? There is obviously a reason why they wait so long? Am getting olly castrated tomorrow so will ask then, thanks for replying to me :)

My vet doesn't like spaying them young as he says the uterus is very small and tangled up on it's self makes the operation fiddly. In this case though I think most vets would if they could.

I had a 5 month old rabbit that we got as a rescue and she was pregnant when we got her and we didn't know as she was so thin, but she started to carry hay about in her mouth and I did wonder and made an appointment at our vet's to see if she was pregnant but they told me she wasn't.
One night she started acting a bit restless and then pulling fur out and I just felt that she was going to give birth so my Husband put a cardboard box in with a hole in the front that she could go through and sure enough at 9.00 at night on the 1st June 2005 she gave birth to 5 babies which we kept and over the years sadly they have gone to the bridge, but we still have Mum. :D

Back