• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Lottie has sore hocks - looking for advice please

Becky86

Wise Old Thumper
Lottie is suffering badly with snuffles and has been for a good 6 weeks now. Her nose is awful :( Shes at my mums at the moment due to their hutch being ruined in the bad weather. I went to mums today to see them, i gave them both a good check over and noticed Lottie has terribly sore hocks :cry: They are all cracked and had been bleeding. When i moved the fur back, they started bleeding again :( Shes a little gem, and is so well behaved. She let me clean them for her, and i wrapped some bandages around them for her for tonight until we can see the vet tomorrow, just wondering if any of you have any advice?

Shes already bedded on a thick layer of hay and is litter trained so the tray gets changed daily, so her feet arent sitting in wet hay or anything. I feel so sorry for the little mite :( I really want to bring them inside, as i thought it might help with Lotties nose but ive no room at all at the minute :( I feel such a bad mummy atm x

Last edited:
Ive got no experience of sore hocks, but just wanted to send nose rubs to Lottie and **hugs** to you xx Hope she gets better soon x

bringing her in might not help because of carpet.

when Bo suffered with his feet (they never bled, just sore) i got the foam mats, they helped loads, also an old duvet cover wrapped over a piece of carpet helped him

hope shes ok xxxx

Does their hutch have a ramp? I found jumping up the ramp irritated Pickle's hocks - every time they started to heal the leaping and twisting around at the top of the ramp would knock the scabs off again. They have been much better since we moved them to the shed and haven't bled for 2 months now :D

Thinking about it, shes been on lino all summer, and ive only started packing the hutch with hay these last few weeks, so maybe the hay has caused it :? Ive been racking my brains all night. Might try the foam mats, thanks Nat :)

They dont have a run, they just have a 6x2x2 hutch and seperate run on grass. Ive told mum to hold off putting her in the run for the time being due to the weather being so bad, and her snuffles being so bad. We cant seem to win with this little one x

Hey Becky, sorry to hear about wee Lottie. I've only really got Kylo for experience as they girls' hocks have never been too bad. In my experience hay and straw didnt really help - although its soft and dense for padding, i think its just too rough and random to help healing. I did line the run with straw for a few months last summer and they did improve, but i think thats because they lay down on it with their feet stretched out the back, rather than sitting on the decking. So if you can encourage lazing around that might help!
I also found that constantly putting cream on his feet didnt help at all (well didnt get worse but didnt get better either!) whereas when i stopped medicating his feet they have slowly started to heal.
Mine live on lino, with hay and straw in their bed, a run on the grass and come inside onto the carpet. I havent found carpet to be bad for them, but concrete definately is and so is anything that is wet.

Re the snuffles - Kylo had 1 month baytril then 1 month doxycycline (ronaxan), he improved on both but then got worse. Then we did 1month SubQ injections of 2x week pen & strep + 1x week engemycin (or the other way around, i cant remember!) and it worked brilliantly. He's moved house twice, had a day of stasis and no relapses. He never sneezes now and never has any discharge. I can give you my vets number if you want to ask her about it.

Hey Becky, sorry to hear about wee Lottie. I've only really got Kylo for experience as they girls' hocks have never been too bad. In my experience hay and straw didnt really help - although its soft and dense for padding, i think its just too rough and random to help healing. I did line the run with straw for a few months last summer and they did improve, but i think thats because they lay down on it with their feet stretched out the back, rather than sitting on the decking. So if you can encourage lazing around that might help!
I also found that constantly putting cream on his feet didnt help at all (well didnt get worse but didnt get better either!) whereas when i stopped medicating his feet they have slowly started to heal.
Mine live on lino, with hay and straw in their bed, a run on the grass and come inside onto the carpet. I havent found carpet to be bad for them, but concrete definately is and so is anything that is wet.

Re the snuffles - Kylo had 1 month baytril then 1 month doxycycline (ronaxan), he improved on both but then got worse. Then we did 1month SubQ injections of 2x week pen & strep + 1x week engemycin (or the other way around, i cant remember!) and it worked brilliantly. He's moved house twice, had a day of stasis and no relapses. He never sneezes now and never has any discharge. I can give you my vets number if you want to ask her about it.

Thanks hun. I dont want to leave them outside on just lino in this weather :( I wanted them to have something to snuggle in, may have to take the hay back out and try a quilt or some fleeces. She never lays stretched out, she always sits upright so the pressure is always on her feet, she kinds hunkers down and puts her front paws out - if that makes sense? :lol:

With regards to the snuffles, they have improved alot, she hasnt got half as much snot :oops: around her nose, its just like a little trickle now. Shes been on oral baytril, and baytril injections. We then moved onto septrin orally and she doesnt seem to have picked up, but i worry about her being outside in this weather when shes looking so poorly. (bigger house needed again maybe) ;). Thanks for advice hun, baytril/septrin definately arent clearing it totally so will write down the meds above and have a chat with the vet again xx

Back