• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

keeping bunnies warm-tips please

pooks

Warren Scout
My bunnies are in a shed with a run attached. The shed is insulated with silver backed bubble wrap but the water bowl keeps freezing.

Can anyone give me tips for preventing the bowl from freezing? They've never drunk from a bottle so don't want to rely on that as an alternative.

Secondly, in the shed they have a plastic dog bed filled with hay (its really stuffed full!) but i'm worried they're gonna get too cold in this weather. I'm gonna get another plastic dog bed to fill with hay to put in the run.

Is there anything else i can do/give them to help keep them warm?

ps, the run floor is paving slabs but ive covered them with hay so bunny's feet are warmer!

Well, I'm not an expert but got my buns through last winter with ....

a knee deep in straw
b cardboard box filled with straw (they like two holes cut in it!)
c a bench off the ground to sit on.

this year I have added a small hutch with the door taken off to the shed and stuffed that full of hay too. The run also has shutters on the front and a corragated plastic roof. The back of the run is solid wood and it has a wooden floor too which is raised up off the ground. You could put a floating floor in the run?...

All the best for the winter! Roll on the summer when we're all getting frantic about keeping bunnies cool!! :roll:

Don't have the answer to the frozen water bowl, but Spenser and I must manage as he will not drink from a bottle. I change it frequently until I go to bed around midnight, then I get up at 6am to change it again. He doesn't drink that much, but all the same it is a concern. Spenser has fleece blankets as well as straw and hay in his hutch.

Strawbs has a cardboard box stuffed with straw to snuggle in.

Snowdrop has a snugglesafe and a hutch inside her wendyhouse filled with straw.

As long as your bunnies are in good health and have somewhere warm and dry to go if they wish, I wouldn't worry too much about them being cold. Mine generally prefer to sit outside all night, even at the moment :shock: when it's -7 outside! Last time we had 2ft of snow, I spent ages spreading a really deep layer of straw all over the floor of the shed and Pea and Pod then spent the next hour pushing it all out through the catflap :lol::lol::lol:. So as long as I've provided them with a snug area to retreat to should they wish, I leave them to make up their own mind about where they want to spend their day/night.

As long as your bunnies are in good health and have somewhere warm and dry to go if they wish, I wouldn't worry too much about them being cold. Mine generally prefer to sit outside all night, even at the moment :shock: when it's -7 outside! Last time we had 2ft of snow, I spent ages spreading a really deep layer of straw all over the floor of the shed and Pea and Pod then spent the next hour pushing it all out through the catflap :lol::lol::lol:. So as long as I've provided them with a snug area to retreat to should they wish, I leave them to make up their own mind about where they want to spend their day/night.

:lol::lol::lol:

:lol::lol::lol: that did make me laugh! Im bun-sitting a bunny on a bunny-run and he is in the shed too - Im worried he will be cold but last year he spent the whole winter free ranign outdoors! He has a hutch stuffed with hay & a snuggle safe too!...oh and his fur coat!:lol: I think they dont mind the cold too much as long as they have a warm option I guess....:)

lots of hay to snuggle, snugglesafes if you have them!

tif and bo spend there night pushing all the hay from the hutch into the run through the cat flap, then sitting on the wooden floor :roll: typical!!!!

Back