• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Litter training

rabbitdan

Mama Doe
ive got 2 new rabbits as you know, (both males currently not castrated but will be ASAP) they are only 13 weeks old. should i litter train now or wait until castrated? also i havnt got lino down yet but should i put it down even if they are not litter trained yet?

i litter trained my male straight away, i had him at 9 weeks. he was very easy to do and i havent had any probs since. hes 8 months nw and was neutered 3 wks ago.
on the other hand my female i done the same with but the last 4 wks she keeps peeing everywhere apart from the tray, even right next to it!!!:roll::lol:

you can try :wave: some unneutered bunnies will litter train easily some won't.

I would put the lino down either way with them being rexes :wave: they might get sore hocks on the concrete

Hi!:wave:

Yes there is no reason why oyu cant put the lino down straight away - also if they do wee you can wipe it up straight away & poop can be swept. It will also be softer for the rex hocks.

I'd strat litter training straight away - though as oyu have males they will tend to spray every where - espicially as they mature and hormones kick in!
Personally I use Aubiouse for my litter trays. It absorbs very well and you can scoop out the wet bits so it last for ages. It can be composted & its not s uge issue if they try & eat it. Its made from Hemp. You can buy a massive bag for about £10. It also lets the wee soak to the bottom - so the surface is dry when the buns sit in it.
I would place the litter tray below the hay rack - with abit of hay in the litter tray just under the hay rack. They enjoy eating whilst they poop.

There is also the option of useing megazorb or carefresh. Megazorb is cheaper , carefresh more expensive. They are similar and both work well. I found that my buns enjoyed eating the carefresh and so changed as it could become a blockage in their tums if they ate too much. Aubiose solved htis problem for me - but others find useing either mentioned fine too.

I would gather their poops & place it in the litter tray, along with some of their wee - either some from newspaper or tissue...then they will smell their wee in the litter tray & start useing it. Buns tend to choose their own corner/s to toilet in - if they have already decided this - it may be easier to just place the litter tray there. Other buns dont mind where you place the litter tray - so just try it out & see how it goes. Def, place under the hay rack though.
From what Ive read - males are slightly harder to litter train than females if they are not neutered...I guess because they like to mark their territory by spraying their wee all over. You can use white vinigar to wipe down any wee makrs - it gets rid of the calcium build up & keeps the hutch clean. Vinigar is a natural disinfectant so great also for getting the linescale build up on the bottle nozels.

Hope this helps!:wave:

Back