• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Frozen bottles

Same here, my poor little Chipmunks were so thirsty this morning:cry: I have just wrapped some insulator stuff around the bottles so hope this helps tonight! Nell (rabbit) dosent like bottles so she has a dish but its frozen already:evil:

Mine won't drink out of bowls they just throw them around i've got socks on the bottles now but they froze this afternoon and they haven't done that before it's usually at night and overnight that they freeze :evil:

Snugglesafe do an insulator bottle which i am going to try. Looks a good idea but not sure if it will be better than a bubblewrap/sock yet...

my problem is the actual bottles arent freezing but the silver spout thing is:censored: any ideas how to stop this please?

I think you're fighting a losing battle :(. I put fresh water bowls in the sheds at 3pm and they were already frozen at 7pm. I've tried adding glycerin to the water but it doesn't make any difference. They've also got water bottles wrapped in bubble wrap, then a snugglesafe bottle jacket followed by silver foil but you can't protect the spout and it still freezes.

In desparation, I've just ordered two greenhouse tubular heaters that I'm going to wall mount in the sheds (cables protected, naturally). It's cost me £70 to get the heaters and heater guards but if it keeps the temperature in the sheds above freezing, I'll be happy.

But until they arrive and are fitted, it's simply a case of changing the water bowls 3 or 4 times a day, and especially last thing at night and first thing in the morning.

Same here. I have managed to stop the water in the bottle freezing by using a bottle snug and a thick sock, but the spout is frozen within an hour! My buns also have a dish, so far today since 6am I have had to change it 8 times due to it keep freezing. Hoping that they are getting sufficient fluids from their veg. It's just sooooo cold! :(

Last night the bottle was wrapped in bubble wrap and it froze solid! Tonight I am trying bubble wrap and a wooly bed sock.

Always check the metal drinking tube on your outside water bottles as sometimes that part can be frozen inside. Even people with waterproof bottle covers which keep the bottles insulated please still check the metal drinking tube as this part isn't usually covered and can still freeze.

Bramble's bottles keep freezing up even with a cover on. I've got a rota going with 3 bottles, just keep swapping them over!

Back