• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Sore hocks and cream...how??!!

Mazzawa

Young Bun
While bun was in getting his teeth checked they noticed that he has the start of sore hocks. We've been given sudacream (?) to put on them but are really struggling to get to his feet and once there put the cream on. Wrapping in a towel never works and being such big bun we cannot just plonk him on his rear end. Have tried pinning him down like we do to clip his nails but he managed to break free.

Any tips on how to do this? Should also say that we've padded out his living acc. to help his hocks.

Thanks in advance!

Hi :wave: I have a sore hock bunny too. Pickle's hocks were quite bad and bleeding, so hopefully you have caught yours early enough to avoid that. I was never given any cream to use, as it was advised that cream would make the skin soft, therefore more prone to breaking. What I did use on occassion when his hocks bled was Savlon Active (?) Gel, as it absorbs very quickly and doesn't soften the skin or flatten the fur in the way that cream can.

Have you tried lifting him up and holding him upright with his spine against your chest, while the other gets to his feet? I usually sit on the arm of a chair so I can "prop" him up against my legs and body as well as holding him.

I use fleece blankets on top of towels (they can sometimes be abrasive) in their shed and their run is on grass. Pickle's hocks have improved brilliantly since moving him into the shed, as going up the ramp in the hutch made his worse. My vet has also given me vitamin A drops to give him daily to help them improve.

I would avoid using cream if they aren't too bad, it flattens the fur around the area aswell so adding to the prob, I would focuss on addressing the environment and making it as soft, natural as poss, assuming nails are the right length at this stage I'd be thinking prevention still, Jingle had a couple of bare spots on his hocks they looked dry and red but, when he went to the vet he was examined and the vet said to concentrate on his environment as the skin wasn't broken and it was 'patchy' rather than completely bald, it worked thank god so I've never had to resort to creams or bandages. Good luck - I did notice he was moulting aswell so not sure if that makes a difference - possibly makes it worse as they are losing fur?

I agree, I never used anything on Oscars either but his were dry not weeping, I too adapted their kennel (the run was concrete), my OH made a wooden raised floor and then I layered interlocking foam mats from B n Q throughout the entire kennel, also changing of litter trays is important to to prevent any infection and making the sores worse, I've found making these changes there is a great improvement in his heels...

Hi guys

Thank you so much for your replies! We have kitted bun's cage out with a thick layer of hay so he's bouncing around now, hopefully taking pressure off his hocks. His nails are ok (we hope) but will be back at the vets for his vaccs in a week or so, so will get them checked out by the small animal vet. Also, all areas that he likes to hang out in we've lined with fleece blankets. Will try and put a little cream on him over the next couple of days at least (just to get started - bit dry as well as red) but definitely keep an eye on them even if we don't cream them up.

Does all this sound ok?

If they're not cracked or bleeding and there is still fur covering around the sores then I really would not apply any cream at all at this stage.

Back