• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

cold weather

breeze

Mama Doe
do rabbits cope with cold weather?iv just cleaned them out and totaly filled the cage part with hay and put a blanket over it so its like a little den and on hyps bed iv also put a large pile of hay but they seem to huddle together in middle of shed floor?its concrete based so i put a thick layer of shavings downa s dont want them get cold.they seem happy enough but water bottle keeps freezing and shed window is froze inside and out.will they be ok?

If they are used to being outside and are healthy and well and have plenty of warm places to snuggle then they will be fine. :D

theyve got full run of a large shed with an indoor cage completley packed with hay and covered so i think so?been outside all year round so used to weather

:wave: You can cover the window with clear plastic (assuming ventilation still poss) if you have power, Argos do tubular heaters with a safety cut out, I have one they are good. Also snugglesafes that go in the microwave or housebricks in the oven can provide heat for them. Lots of straw covered in hay is good though, as Prettylupin said if they are healthy and used to outdoor conditions they should be fine, lots of food and keeping an eye on the water should be fine. I put half cooled boiled water (still quite warm) to half ordinary cold and they both loved it, I have the bottle snugs and so far so good.

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=256419

Last edited:
iv only got a light in the shed,no power points.giving them luke warmw ater in bottles they seem to enjoy:)

iv only got a light in the shed,no power points.giving them luke warmw ater in bottles they seem to enjoy:)

Yes but, not from the hot tap apparently that can harbour bacteria, I only use boiled that's cooled down to luke warm, maybe you could try the brick trick :lol:

:wave: You can cover the window with clear plastic (assuming ventilation still poss) if you have power, Argos do tubular heaters with a safety cut out, I have one they are good. Also snugglesafes that go in the microwave or housebricks in the oven can provide heat for them. Lots of straw covered in hay is good though, as Prettylupin said if they are healthy and used to outdoor conditions they should be fine, lots of food and keeping an eye on the water should be fine. I put half cooled boiled water (still quite warm) to half ordinary cold and they both loved it, I have the bottle snugs and so far so good.

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=256419

VickiP - thankyou!! I've been looking for one of these - didnt occur to me to check Argos, and I have a gift voucher that will cover most of the cost,
woohoo!!:D

Was really surprised to find the boys's water bottle in the shed had started to freeze overnight, but the girls bottle on the hutch was fine. Will be using a pair of thick socks tonight to cover them up.

Back