• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Moving to an area with foxes...

Curious1

Young Bun
Hello just looking for some advice from people here that perhaps live in an area with foxes or can just offer some advice - obviously I want what is best for my buns.

In the new year I am moving due to work. The new area I will be moving to (I am moving back in with parents for the time being) has a LOT of foxes. They are seen daily in our street even during day time and if you walk down the street at night time you will see more than one fox basically guaranteed. Our garden has always had foxes in it on a regular basis even during day time.

I have a few options and would just like to get the opinion on what would be best for my rabbits.

I will not be able to keep them as house buns so that is ruled out.

My parents house has a double garage which I could house them in if it would be suitable, only problem would be is that garage is around the front of the house and raised so I would not be able to build some form of run into the garden onto it.

Another option would be to build a secure shed and aviary (similar to what they have currently) however I worry that even if the foxes cant get in perhaps they would scare the rabbits and terrorise them. Also I would be worried about letting the rabbits out to free range in the garden even in full supervision as the foxes dont seem to be scared of humans and rarely run away when you try to scare them off.

Last option which I obviously dont want to do but would do if it is best for them would be to leave them. My boyfriends sister is renting our place and so would look after the rabbits if I left them behind. They have a nice 10ft x 6ft aviary with 24/7 access to a shed and are able to free range around our large secure garden whenever someone is about to supervise them. Ideally I would want to bring them with me so this option would only be a last resort.

Just wondering if anyone can offer me any advice on what I could do or if anyone has had the same situation and how have they dealt with it?

To be totally honest I wouldnt have outdoor rabbits in that environment. Foxs are very strong and persistant and will find a way into a hutch or enclosure.

The only option for outdoor bunnies for me would be a shed without attached run. And since they cant free range I dont think this would be fair to them.

I would have them in a large hutch with attached run inside the garage and then let them have supervised free range time in the garage.

We have our outdoor rabbits in a shed/aviary combo and would only let them out to free range supervised, I literally would stand guard or just make sure that the aviary run is big enough to get a run on, I do tend to lock mine in the shed at night although quite late and then they are out first thing, I wouldn't be able to leave mine behind, they are very bonded to me and I think would be really worried. I can see your dilemma. Providing you have the right fox proof wire, maybe a sensor light and remain vigilant I'm sure they'd be fine. I chased a fox out of next doors garden in the summer, she was laying on the grass and the rabbit was in a run:shock: I think if you have secure runs and hutches with covers etc it should be alright. I don't underestimate the fox don't get me wrong but, they are foxes not werewolves. Best of luck.

I was favouring the hutch/run in the garage idea at first but then thought perhaps they might suffer from lack of sunlight etc as it has no windows in there? Has electrics etc so perhaps I could use sunlight immitation bulbs?

Also I am sure that I could get some kind of aviary/shed combo built that would be fox proof, money wouldnt be an issue with this so I could get the panels double wired etc and perhaps with security/sensor lights and one of those FoxWatch things it would be enough to keep the rabbits safe. I just am worried that even if I can keep them safe from a fox getting to them perhaps as Dan suggested the stress and trauma of being terrorised for foxes might make for their life not being very happy.

I feel terrible because I want to take them with me but worry I would be being selfish doing so taking them from a secure,safe and happy environment to one in which their quality of life may be a little worse off.

when you say an area with foxes - are you talking suburbs or rural? It makes a difference as generally speaking suburban foxes can be much more troublesome and used to humans.

However really ALL areas of England have foxes now - its just that often people do not see them so they think they are in a fox free area - often only seeing their first fox when it takes a rabbit in their garden.

I would suggest that you have a good SOLID hutch with a front that can be sealed overnight with a wooden board over any mesh PLUS double bolts on each door. Then set that within a aviary run with good quality mesh, all set onto a base of concrete slabs.

.If you then want to keep foxes from even coming close and scaring the buns run an electric wre around the outside and over the top and turn this on at nights (attach to mains or to a caravan style battary). (There is an online shop that can help with this - electric fence on line)

Then you can get some GOOD QUALITY Sonic Fox repellants and dot them around the garden and KEEP them working by replacing the battaries regularly.

I would recommend Forsham Arks to put together the best hutch and aviary and electric wire system.

Hope that helps .

However really ALL areas of England have foxes now - its just that often people do not see them so they think they are in a fox free area - often only seeing their first fox when it takes a rabbit in their garden.

I agree with this point

I have foxes in my garden just about every night, it's not nice and they will keep coming back, but most foxes are after a 'quick easy' meal so if you have a good sturdy hutch and make things difficult for them, they will try somewhere else!
Never leave food out for birds etc in the garden, that just attracts the beastie,
Never underestimate him..he IS cunning! but you can win! Just make him want to go somewhere easier!

This might help you see what My buns have to put up with :shock:

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=256718

Thanks for all the advice.

The area I currently live in is fairly rural and does have foxes, but I have never seen any in my garden and whenever they are seen it is only at night time - My Bunnys set up is very secure and I would be confident that no fox would be ever able to get in as I have spent so much time researching and implementing everything possible to make sure that they are safe should a fox ever come into our garden.

Its just that the area I am moving to had a LOT of urban foxes that are very bold. It wouldnt me a matter of if a fox came into the garden at night it would be a nightly, if not daily too, occurence. The garden gets foxes in most days and night at present even though there is nothing to attract them.

I feel confident that so long as I throw enough money at the problem I could provide my rabbits an environment in which a fox cannot get to them, it is just at what cost to their current lifestyle this would be that is the dilemma for me.

I could buy them a similar size set up to what they currently have - 10ft x 6ft aviary attached to a 6ft x 5 ft shed but if they were unable to free range as often would this be enough?

Does anyone live in an area where foxes visit their garden daily and if so how does this impact on their rabbits happiness/quality of life? Do you feel yours suffer from living in an area so rife with foxes Lops?

Last edited:
Back