• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

how cold is too cold?

catxx

Mama Doe
It was -5 here this morning, and it's hutch cleaning day. Am doing it in stages to avoid frostbite!

The bunnies don't seem bothered, apart from their water being frozen, and they have their snugglesafe (which they ignore anyway).

But with the news saying it was -17 in some parts of the UK last night, at what point do you think it's TOO much for bunnies to handle? I have a tiny 1 bedroom rented house with an equally tiny garden and no shed. Moving them inside for me isn't an option, but I don't expect it to get that icy here anyway!

At what point do you think it's too much for them to cope with?

was -7 here the other day and mine were fine.
I know someone who lives in the north of scotland and her bunnies were fine in -22.

It was -7 this morning here so I assume it got colder than this in the night.

I have done clean out and as long as you wrap up it isnt actually that bad. Because the sun is out here its very dry so you dont get damp and cold.

I end up with completely numb burning fingers, that's where I have a problem! Need fingerless gloves (had 2 pairs on) to deal with the padlocks/hay. Their bedroom bit is done though. Nearly burnt my fingers off with cold in the process!

It was -9 here this morning and mine don't seem bothered at all. Like you I have no option to bring them in so just loads of extra bedding and hope for the best.

My friends have moved their bunny into the summer house, and were quite shocked when I told him Spenser was still outside. Obviously I'm concerned about him, and checking regularly, but he has certainly got through the first few very cold nights and has a fine winter coat on him. I could bring him into our unheated conservvatory, but I don't have anything to put him in. A snugglesafe and pukka hutch cover are both on order, and in the meantime he fleece blankets and extra bedding.

My car said minus 13 at 9am this morning,and we are 5 miles from the place that was the coldest place in the UK last night - Llandinam (was minus 18!!). Our water bottle nozzles are freezing within an hour so we are on a constant thawing and replacing mission, despite the sun shining! i have moved one of mine who is seven inside but the others seem quite happy, running around, eating and acting normally, amazingly!!

At -5 I will lock them in their hutches overnight. Otherwise they would stay out in their run all night. In their hutches I think they will be less cold.

Back