• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Water

Pandora7

Warren Scout
Hello

The temprature is dropping to -4 here at the moment any tricks to stop freezing in my rabbits water bottle.

I have thought about moving it inside but not sure how i would fashion a fixing to do this.

What I have done is I got a pair of really thick toe socks, which I never wear, cut the toes off, slide it on the bottle and then put my insulating cover on Riley's bottle :wave:

I've got a few bottles so I can keep swapping them around when they freeze. Bramble also has a cover on his, but it still freezes!

I have put the OH sock on the bottle at the moment so far so good.

The rabbits have decided today to sit inside all day even though I have left the run open for them to venture out.

The moment they are huddled together in the litter tray.

Ive put bubblewrap on mine but hasnt stopped the end freezing and the ball getting stuck :?
Think im going to have to get another bottle and swap them around...x

I have found that the insulating cover has stopped the water freezing ( its inside the shed), but the spout was still freezing - just a spike of frozen water stuck in the spout and stopping the ball from working. So , I wrapped a few layers of quarter inch wide masking tape around the length of the spout ( but not so far as where she would catch it with her teeth or tear it) and so far ( fingers crossed) the spout hasn't frozen overnight again.
I have also put a small amount of snow in a bowl in case it does so that there is still a source of moisture.

I have one sports sock over mine seems to be working.
I have an eazi filler, its not stopped snowing yet and so far its not frozen again.

I've got a few bottles so I can keep swapping them around when they freeze. Bramble also has a cover on his, but it still freezes!

I use to do this , only had the bottle freeze once here so not to cold yet. But i always manage to melt them lol i put hot water in them to clean them then they kinda go out of shape :oops: .

I use my OH holey socks :D

I have wrapped a good layer of newspaper round bottle. Water has started to freeze but not solid but Ive got the prob with the ball, that freezes solid!
I have a water dish in there as well which I mooved to the middle of hutch thinking it would be warmer but this morning it was frozen solid, it did drop to -14 though last night! Brrrrrrrrrr!! :shock:
Think will invest in some bubble wrap and slo use the tape idea too.

well the water is freezing here again like its going out of fashion.

Have now tried two socks and two layers of tin foil still frozen!

So today I have purchased some bubble wrap, so now trying sock then bubble wrap x2 layers then another sock.

Some one had a idea of them back pain sticky things that warm up or put one of them hand warmers between the socks, easier if you have the bottle like mine as its cube shaped, not sure how you would do it if you have the standard shape.

I will post more ideas if this does not work tonight.

Has any one tried glycerine in there water seen a few sites suggesting this, does it work???

I have tried all kinds with bottles and bowls.
Have resorted to putting a dish of clean snow in for them. :shock:
I know this isn't ideal but they spend most of their free ranging time eating snow anyway, even when I put a fresh bowl of water out for them. No doubt I am a really bad bunny mummy but I'd rather they had snow to munch on overnight than nothing :(

Back