• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

RSPCA specifically oxfordshire

Candiflare

Mama Doe
Earlier in the week I went to look for a possible new male companion for Ruby..

I didn't realise that the RSPCA in Oxfordshire was run purely by volunteers - or at least that's how it seemed. And that the RSPCA don't vaccinate for VHD at all?

Different RSPCAs will have different policies on what they do and don't do.

I think Walsall RSPCA is run by volunteers as well? Very successfully as I understand it.

Earlier in the week I went to look for a possible new male companion for Ruby..

I didn't realise that the RSPCA in Oxfordshire was run purely by volunteers - or at least that's how it seemed. And that the RSPCA don't vaccinate for VHD at all?

I hope that's not true - it would be totally stupid for them not to be setting an example.

The volunteer part doesn't surprise me as my friend volunteers/helps out for Reading Rabbits which is the RSPCA branch and is run from the couples home and as far as I know they get funding but do it under their own steam.

Maybe it's something to do with differing budgets...

They were quite small and had about 15 rabbits in total there, all vaccinated for myxi but they said their policy was not to vac against VHD. Strange.

Maybe it's something to do with differing budgets...

They were quite small and had about 15 rabbits in total there, all vaccinated for myxi but they said their policy was not to vac against VHD. Strange.

It could be to do with vets advice (most likely), or anything like that. Maybe it might be worth asking?

I'll ask them. One of the main volunteers there adopted all her buns from Fat Fluffs, so she knows what she's talking about. I'll try to find out the reason and then maybe mention it to the HQ.

I am afraid we don't vaccinate for VHD either:cry:. As a small rescue I am afraid we have to draw the line somewhere. The costs can so, so easily spiral out of control and also the time scale of quarantining, neutering, 2 vaccinations, is just unfeasible when you consider how fast rabbits are coming in to rescues. Pet shops do NOTHING with regards to setting an example - not even vaccinating for myxi in an area that was rife for myxi last year. I'm afraid not many rabbit rescues have a budget for everything:cry:. If we had unlimited resources and money then we'd also microchip but we can't. You also have to factor in the vast number of bunnies that come in with problems that we also have to dig deep for that always go above and beyond our budget.

We worked out last year that we spend more per rabbit than most cat rescues spend per cat but sadly the vast majority of the public would think that keeping a bunny is the 'cheaper' option in terms of pet ownership. Many, many rabbit owners out there are oblivious to the fact that there are such things as rabbit vaccinations.:roll:

Not all rescues vaccinate for VHD as its way too costly. My vet actually told me that there are not many cases of VHD in this area.

Did you find anybun for Ruby if not I have a foster bun here you can have a look at. Also Rabbit Respect Centre have lots of bunnies only about 45 mins away.

Here's a link to just a few of the gorgeous buns

http://www.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sear...bBond=%&County=Warwickshire&Submit=++Search++

Last edited:
Quite a few rescues dont vaccs for VHD but will advise to get it done. I think its to reduce costs as VHD isnt as common as Mxy.

Thanks guys. I don't blame anyone for not vacc against VHD, I really admire the job that rescues do and completely understand the cost issue. It just made me wonder how many people were actually vaccing their rabbits against VHD who adopted from the RSPCA if they were not told to? Even some vets around here have the vaccine but think it's a bit excessive.

I also didn't know there wasn't much VHD around here...

It's good to know there are options in terms of rescues - In Oxfordshire I only thought there was RSPCA and the *awful* animal sanctuary. Obviously I DO want to adopt from Alice but it's actually quite far away for me to make several trips over the course of a few weeks for bonding etc and it's much easier to just donate to her when I can. But Ruby will choose whoever her partner is whether that's Compo (reserved at RSPCA) Max (Emma's foster) or one of Alice's single male buns... I'm waiting until I get back from India (mid Dec) to see and when the buns get back from Hoppy Holidays!

This is unrelated to not vaccinating against VHD so please don't think it is.

With regards to VHD being rife or not rife, generally vets are not going to know because the only way to know would be a PM which many owners will nto do. The rabbits generally just die suddenly, or with a small warning, as opposed to being taken to the vet for looking ill, like with myxo. So I think there will never be a clear idea of how many cases of VHD there are, personally.

Different RSPCAs will have different policies on what they do and don't do.

I think Walsall RSPCA is run by volunteers as well? Very successfully as I understand it.

Yep, our branch is run solely by volunteers - wish people were more aware really as we dont deserve all the bad mouthing we get :( We are really struggling at the minute for both fosterers and volunteers which is really sad :(

We dont vaccinate against VHD, all the rabbits are health checked when the come in, we then vaccinate against Myxo and neuter them. We then ask for a £40 adoption fee which doesnt even cover the neuter :? I am looking into getting all the branch rabbits microchipped and vaccinated against VHD, we are looking into the costs involved. It really depends if MOP are willing to pay that little bit more - we already get people moaning about the adoption fees :roll: x

My local RSPCA - Ashley Heath in Ringwood also does not vaccinate for VHD. But they do give out a care leaflet that advises it and they are also very strict on 6x2 hutches with a 6x4 run and homecheck as well.

Back