• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

RIP Sally Rabbit

jessicabw

New Kit
I very sadly lost my much loved rabbit Sally this morning. I feel so guilty about how she died. As I do every morning, I let her and her friend Basil out of their hutch into the garden. I briefly went upstairs and when I came back down I saw a fox running out of the garden over the back fence. I then found Sally lying in the flower bed. There was no blood but she was clearly dead, I think she died of shock.

I blame myself for not watching the rabbits more closely. However, my husband tells me it was far better that she had the run of the garden and a happy life than being locked up in a hutch all day.

I am so sad and will miss her greatly. She was a beautiful lop eared rabbit. She loved running about the garden and doing binkies. She was so affectionate towards Basil and would groom him for hours. She was playful and determined to get what she wanted and always managed to make me laugh. If I had a stressful day at work, she made me feel happy. She loved squeezing herself into tight spaces and investigating new things and I loved watching her.

Basil is confused and agitated and it's heartbreaking to see him alone. I'm keeping him in the house for now. I don't think it's fair to keep him alone for long. We're not really able to get another rabbit at the moment so i'm considering re-homeing him so he can have a new friend. I hope he can bond with another rabbit. I just wanted to write something down to say that i'm sorry and Sally will be greatly missed.

how sad...:cry: have you let basil see her to say goodbye? this is important in the grieving process:cry: poor sally:cry: your oh was right ... she did have a good life running around the garden:love: a friend for basil would be a good idea .. but only when hes grieved:)

I'm so sorry, that's awful. I'm paranoid about foxes at the moment :( I hope Basil is ok.

Binky free Sally xxx

I'm so sorry.

Please don't make any knee jerk decisions for Basil right now, give yourself time to settle; he may make the perfect house bunny and be very happy living that way.

Binky Free Sally.

I'm so sorry, that must have been so awful :cry: I think Basil might be more sad though if you rehomed him, because then he'd miss you! I'd see how he gets on inside... Thoughts are with you :love:

Thank you for all your kind comments. Basil seems to be coping ok and enjoys being inside. He's lying in front of the fire at the moment! I'll see how he gets on....
Please be careful of foxes!

Back