• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

When do the homones kick in?

Jenson

Mama Doe
Hello
This might be a dumb question, but reading another post about teenage hormones in bunnies, I was wondering when these kick in.
Jenson is 20 weeks and on Monday he's having a check up to make sure he's ready to be neutered. So far I'm not getting much "hormonal" behavior, or at least nothing thats an issue.

Should I be worried about a big behavior change, I'm hoping that neutering will just mean he's a little more chilled, especially round my OH, at the moment Jenson sniffs his hand and legs it, yet I can get in and out of his run, he climbs on me, eats from my hand, looks at me when he wants to play, he's so lovely.

Spenser was 7 months when I got him, and has never displayed any of the classic hormonal symptoms. My friends' got their rabbit at 8 weeks, and by the time he was 4 months old he was regularly atempting to beget baby rabbits on my wrist! :shock: I think some rabbits will be more hormonal than others, but the general opinion of most experts is that they are more relaxed and happy if neutered. I'll probably get Spenser done next spring, when the weather is warmer as he is an outside bun.

Generally male homrones kick in around 12 weeks (or a bit earlier or a bit later), and it varies depending on the breed (larger takes longer), but some show minimal characteristics.

Back