• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Matted coat, should I got to vets

k.mdaniels

Alpha Buck
Poor wee Sammy!

My fluffly Lionhead Sammy has got little bits of hay embedded in his coat. These little annoying bits seem to be everywhere and there causing his coat to matt.
Sammy can be very grumpy especially when it comes to grooming. Im surprised I still have all my fingers:shock:
His matts arent huge, its more like lots of little ones but they are everywhere. I've never noticed as much hay in his coat before so the hay must be slightly different or else he's sitting in it a lot more.

There a huge bit of grassy hay right under his chin, I want to see christmas so I aint getting it:)

He doesnt seem to be that bothered but I have a couple of times spotted him biting at himself only to discover it was hay in his coat.

I think its a two man job grooming this little guy but unfortunately my OH isnt any help (no offense to him).
One time I mentioned to the vet when he had a particulary large matt on his belly, she was able to get it off when I was holding him, she did say I could bring him down one day and the nurses could work on him - do you think I should?

our lionhead always had hay and bits in her mane:oops::roll: i would try and comb out or cut out if it was very bad:oops: i think just a quick comb every day should keep it looking good;)

Flower gets groomed daily and matts daily lol... when we first got her though she had matts everywhere....the worst was the area above her tail... it was so bad I couldn work out where the matts finished... I eventually had to cut hers out using my fingers as a guide to where her skin was (needless to say i ended up bleeding lol)
Is there no one that you can maybe ask to lend a hand if your OH is not up to the job? x

I think I will have to start grooming him daily. The thing is he is such a shy little grump that I worry he ends up hating me. We've had him 3 years and to be honest it wasn't until the 2 half years that he started to relax with us.

"Is there no one that you can maybe ask to lend a hand if your OH is not up to the job? x "

unfortuantely not, my friends and family arent bunny people. My OH doesnt like holding him (this is his first pet), so I can do that but then he doesnt like snipping him either as some of the matts do close to his skin:roll:

Back