• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit Died Within 4 Hours Of Checking Him

I got up this morning and i went to check the rabbits. They are put in a shed to keep away from this cold weather. I put him on the snow just to see how he was and he didnt move so i put him back in his cage. he was shivering and then stopped when he was in his cage. They all seemed fine. I went back 2 hours later to changed the bottles and to feed them as i always do it once a day. then i went back about 2 hours later to check on them again and found one dead lieing there. there two in the cage but only one of them died. the body was still warm but i noticed his face that the side he was lieing on was all wet from something. it wasnt his bottle as he was to far away. Can anyone give advise how he died or what could of happened. Many thanks

Thanks for the help x

I am sorry for your loss :cry:

A Post Mortem is the only way to find out why he died. All we can do is guess, which is not helpful.

Was he eating and pooing OK ?

The fact that he 'did not move' and was 'shivering' when you put him out is indicative that all was not well. Hypothermia is very likely if he was poorly. A sick Rabbit cannot maintain their body temperature :cry:

I'm very sorry for your loss.

If this situation arises again (which hopefully it won't), you need to seek vet attention immediately when you notice something is wrong.

:( Oh god how awful, was it urine on his side? Sorry scrub that I see you say on his face, it may have been dribble, how long since his teeth had been checked? Hope your other buns will be alright.

Last edited:
Back