• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

A recommendation: Silver backed beach mats- Pics post 16. UD post 28

Sky-O

Wise Old Thumper
I've used beach mats for many years but this year went and bought the silver backed ones.

Well, genius!

It's -3.5 outside at the mo and out of 5 water bowls, three had no signs of freezing, and two has just started to freeze around the edges. I'm obviously quite chuffed with that and for two of the accommodations the only difference this year from last year is the addition of silver backed beach mats to help shelter and protect them.

So that's Tracy's handy hint for this ridiculous time of the morning; just thought it might help someone, at some point in life. :wave:

I'm going back to bed now. Good nightmorning.

Last edited:
Yeh, they are pretty cheap, but you would be hard pushed to find any at this time of year, I think.

Will have to try that :) Are they similar to the ones you put over cars to stop them freezing?

Erm...I know I'm being ridiculously stupid here *glances round nervously to see who's watching* and it does sound like it's really worked, but what are you using them for exactly? Hutch covers ie on the tops of hutches, or at the sides? How big are they? Do they fold over the hutches? I think I'll stop there before any more of my credibility dribbles away...*runs off quickly looking embarrassed* :oops:

ETA Just saw I'm not the only one! Yay! :wave:

Erm...I know I'm being ridiculously stupid here *glances round nervously to see who's watching* and it does sound like it's really worked, but what are you using them for exactly? Hutch covers ie on the tops of hutches, or at the sides? How big are they? Do they fold over the hutches? I think I'll stop there before any more of my credibility dribbles away...*runs off quickly looking embarrassed* :oops:

ETA Just saw I'm not the only one! Yay! :wave:

:lol::lol::lol:

:lol: Silly people being embarassed about asking questions.

I'll take some pics :) But essentially using it for protection of the whole accommodation.

:lol: Silly people being embarassed about asking questions.

I'll take some pics :) But essentially using it for protection of the whole accommodation.

Oooo pics please - I wonder if I could put them on the shed ceiling? where did you get them from Tracey?

Last edited:
Sounds like a great idea! Piccies please :D

Sounds like Amazon might be the way to go...you don't get many beach shops in Nottingham even in summer :lol:

Here are the piccies.

I have three outside setups using them.

This is Sandy and Roger's. Underneath the corrugated plastic there are two beach mats, silver side up. There is also one this side, as you can see. I only added that one on Wednesday when it got cold. The water sits just behind it and hasn't frozen at all. I just fold it up and down as appropriate with the temps.

001-1.jpg

002-1.jpg

This is Candyfloss and Dusk's. They currently have a regular beach mat under the corrugated plastic, but I'm thinking I will swap that for a silver backed one. The mats draping down the front (silver side out) just fold back when I want them to have some air and view, but they have the right hand side open, so are not without air. I normally just use one with them, but added the other for additional protection. Their water is normally the first to freeze but last night it just has a small ring of ice around the edge, nothing solid like normal. the water sits behind the RHS beach mat.

003-1.jpg

004.jpg

This is the now enclosure, and houeses six bunnies (two trios). The beach mats fold down and up as appropriate (I can get closer pics if anyone wants). There are two water bowls in there, one totally behind a beach mat, and that one didn't freeze. The other one is just by the little opening at the bottom, and that one just had a small ring of ice around the edge, again, nothing frozen solid.

005.jpg

006.jpg

I'm suspecting they may be useful against the heat in the summer too, with regards to reflecting it and the heat.

No seaside shops are open now, but come the summer, if you remember (because I won't :roll:) then let me know because I'm happy to get cheaper ones and send them to people.

I've got two of those silver backed windscreen covers - do you reckon they'd work as well? *goes off to try and find them*

Back