• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Finding the right bunny companion - does age matter?

Bunny Buddy

Wise Old Thumper
So, I'm searching for a companion for Elijah.

I'm still hoping to find her in the North but didn't get very far last time. It's surprisingly hard, maybe I'm restricting the criteria too much.

I've discovered he's not a mini lop - he's 2.2kg so he's actually a small dwarf lop.

I've seen 2 mini lops listed in rescues in the Midlands area that I'm considering. Single does that are small seem to be few and far between. I've also been concentrating on less than 2 years old - does that really matter? Surely it would be preferable to have a bunny companion of a similar age?

I've also been 'talking' (via Gumtree) with someone who has a small spayed doe who has lived all her life as a single housebun. If I was getting a bunny for me then I'd have this one but she could be as much as 4 even 5 years old (I originally believed she was less than 3 years old when I first enquired about her). Elijah is about 15 months old - would this girl be too old for him? Could it work but not be ideal? Is she likely to be a bit set in her ways :? :lol:

I can't realistically take him to a rescue to be bonded after his recent stasis episodes I daren't risk it as car journey seemed to be the trigger...

Is a young, small doe my best best -does any of this really matter?

Any advice from those who can advise would be appreciated. :D

Last edited:
I honestly don,t think age or size matter:D
Hope you manage to get Elijah the love of his life:love:

I'm planning on bonding my two. Admittedly they are the same breed/size but they look totally different, and at 5 years old and 7 months old obviously there is a big age difference:) I don't think age matters at all and it's all about who they fall in love with:D:love:

We just successfully bonded our 4 year old female dutch cross with our 6 month old mini/holland lop (still aren't sure which he is) and they get on great. Huge age difference and different breeds and our 4 year old was a very spoilt solo bunny until now so I'd say it shouldn't be a concern. I've heard that lops are generally calm natured and are easier to bond. I don't know if that's true or not but it was in our personal experience. :lol:

:wave: Thanks guys.

We just successfully bonded our 4 year old female dutch cross with our 6 month old mini/holland lop (still aren't sure which he is) and they get on great. Huge age difference and different breeds and our 4 year old was a very spoilt solo bunny until now so I'd say it shouldn't be a concern. I've heard that lops are generally calm natured and are easier to bond. I don't know if that's true or not but it was in our personal experience. :lol:

Now that sounds really positive, there would be a similar age gap and circumstances to the bunnies I'm thinking of bonding :D

Yeah I saw the similarities so felt I should share our experience. We were really worried about her as she is a big attention hog and had been on her own but it was the easiest bond. Perhaps being a solo bun she was actually lonely??? He just follows her around everywhere so it's quite cute.

I have an old man paired with a young girlie and they love each other. She has a lot more energy than him, so sometimes he has a lie down while she goes nuts, but I think it works for them. :wave:

Dave is 18 months and is with Daisy who is nearly 8 and Brendan is 6 and is with Mini who is 9 years.

We do try to match age as much as possible but personality is much more important :)

Thanks again everybody

Thanks Kath, I'd already seen Snowdrop on my search - the Wirral is still a fair distance away though nearer than the 90 & 150 miles for the other 2 young ones. I've got three really good candidates, the only trouble is getting them here/home checks etc.

I've felt strongly that a young doe would be more suitable but Artie is full of bounce at six so the little girl about 30 miles away who is 4ish could well have a lot of spring in her to be compatible with Elijah. Her current owner even wants to bring her here so that she can meet Elijah :love::love:

I just want to feel sure I'm doing the right thing by all bunnies concerned but I suppose it's just down to best guess.

Thanks for your input everybody.

I decided to take my chances with the older girl. 4 isn't of course 'old' just a lot older than Elijah. She won't be coming here for two weeks as she is quite safe where she is and I need to prepare for her arrival. I can't settle her in outdoors as I've always done with other bunnies as she is already a housebun.

I hope it all works out. You can't tell at all there's a 4 year difference between our two and they are happily snuggling as I write this. Please keep us posted on how the meet & greet goes!! Oh and as always... Pics PLEASE!!!! :lol:

Hope it works out.
My 4 year olds are still very lively.
I also imagine having a new young husbun will put a spring in her step too. :D

Back