• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How do you know if your bun is cold?

Honeybean

Warren Scout
Hi

I know I am proabably being paranoid, but... how would I know if my bun was cold?

He is living in his hutch on his own. He has his bedroom stuffed with straw. I have moved his hutch into our shed to give him extra shelter.

He seems to spend most of his time snuggled up in the straw in his bedroom. He is eathing like a horse but just spends his time snuggling. I am not worried about his health as he was at the vets the other day and is really healthy.

I just worry that I might not know if he is cold.

Plus his water was frozen this morning. :shock:

Should I put some tarp over his hutch or just quit worrying? :roll:

I should add, that he will be snuggling up with a wife hopefully by the end of this year in his own shed. So its only a temporary worry. :oops:

Thanks
Kim

Last edited:
Hi

I know I am proabably being paranoid, but... how would I know if my bun was cold?

He is living in his hutch on his own. He has his bedroom stuffed with straw. I have moved his hutch into our shed to give him extra shelter.

He seems to spend most of his time snuggled up in the straw in his bedroom. He is eathing like a horse but just spends his time snuggling. I am not worried about his health as he was at the vets the other day and is really healthy.

I just worry that I might not know if he is cold.

Plus his water was frozen this morning. :shock:

Should I put some tarp over his hutch or just quit worrying? :roll:

Thanks
Kim

I've been thinking the same this week. My two foster buns are both outside in hutches on their own. They have tarpaulin over the hutches and on the not so well built hutch a rug underneath also. They have washing up bowls stuffed with hay which sit on carpet mats + dens made from lots of towels, cosies & blankets to snuggle inside. I just hope they have the sense to use them :roll:

Their water was also frozen the last two mornings :shock::(

Sorry - no help what so ever but just so you know you're not alone in your wondering :)

Water Frozen

I don't know if this is any use but it was a useful tip i read somewhere it may of been here or the other million rabbit websites i obsess over :lol: (i know its not normal!)

Any who i read that if you put bubble wrap or tin foil over the water bottle 'apparently' it stops it freezing over.... i have not personally tested this theory it might not even work but worth a try so that bun can always have water; plus it would be cheaper than buying something at the pet shop ;)

As a general rule feel their ears. Buns tend to cope with the cold weather much better than hot weather. If you are worried then a snuggle safe will help and extra covers over the hutch. Make sure that air still gets in though

I've found that if you don't have a snugglesafe, putting a house brick in the oven to warm it up, then wrapping it in a towel and putting it in their hutch/shed makes a good heater for them. My two snuggle up to it all night if it gets really cold :love:

I've found that if you don't have a snugglesafe, putting a house brick in the oven to warm it up, then wrapping it in a towel and putting it in their hutch/shed makes a good heater for them. My two snuggle up to it all night if it gets really cold :love:

I like that idea - I'll be trying that tomorrow! :)

I hadn't thought of putting towels in the hutch. Spenser seems to spend a lot of time in his under-run, which is not the warmest place for him - although there is lots of straw and a fleece blanket, bot to mention the remains of his cardboard box. I have put bubble wrap on the sides of the under-run, as it will be a few weeks before his new hutch hugger arrives.

I don't know if this is any use but it was a useful tip i read somewhere it may of been here or the other million rabbit websites i obsess over :lol: (i know its not normal!)

Any who i read that if you put bubble wrap or tin foil over the water bottle 'apparently' it stops it freezing over.... i have not personally tested this theory it might not even work but worth a try so that bun can always have water; plus it would be cheaper than buying something at the pet shop ;)

I tried the tinfoil thing last year and it didnt work, so i had to go and buy a cover with a bottle which then split after 2 days:roll:

I tried the tinfoil thing last year and it didnt work, so i had to go and buy a cover with a bottle which then split after 2 days:roll:

I use bowls anyway so not sure how I can stop these from freezing :(

I have however just ordered two snuggle safes from animal magic :D

I hadn't thought of putting towels in the hutch. Spenser seems to spend a lot of time in his under-run, which is not the warmest place for him - although there is lots of straw and a fleece blanket, bot to mention the remains of his cardboard box. I have put bubble wrap on the sides of the under-run, as it will be a few weeks before his new hutch hugger arrives.

TBH Fleecy blankets are best as they dry much quicker after washing & tend to be more snuggly :) I use towels as the bottom layer though :)

TBH Fleecy blankets are best as they dry much quicker after washing & tend to be more snuggly :) I use towels as the bottom layer though :)

Mine would trash those :lol:

I have carpet offcuts for the boys to sit on, which have fleeces on top of them (although they still sit on the bare concrete :roll:)

was having a look on ebay myself and came across a thermal bottle cover item no. 390151791668, don't know if they work though

was -5 when I went to bed last night and shoved their snugglesafe in buried under a thick layer of hay but the ******* keep digging it out, they don't seem to like it :roll:

i see that quite a few of you are using fleecy blankets. How the heck do you stop them from chewing them? I am using a cotton teatowel over my snugglesafe at the moment as they chewed the cover last year and Tracy is sending me 2 new ones, but they are still piggin chewing it :lol:

i see that quite a few of you are using fleecy blankets. How the heck do you stop them from chewing them? I am using a cotton teatowel over my snugglesafe at the moment as they chewed the cover last year and Tracy is sending me 2 new ones, but they are still piggin chewing it :lol:

I think some buns just chew and some don't. I don't think there's much you can do about it :(

Water Frozen

Thanks for that tip. I put loads of bubble wrap round the wather bottle last night after your suggestion.

So.......... this morning the water wasn't frozen. However.......... guess who'd been nibbling on the bubble wrap?!! :shock:

I use bowls anyway so not sure how I can stop these from freezing :(

I have however just ordered two snuggle safes from animal magic :D

I know someone who uses a golf ball in her water bowl to keep the water from freezing. Perhaps you could try that?

House Brick

That's a brilliant idea, I am definitely going to try that. I just need to find a brick first. Thanks though. :)

Thanks for that tip. I put loads of bubble wrap round the wather bottle last night after your suggestion.

So.......... this morning the water wasn't frozen. However.......... guess who'd been nibbling on the bubble wrap?!! :shock:

Pop an old sock over the bubble wrap maybe?

Back