• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

One bunny fatter than the other!

helgalush

Wise Old Thumper
What can I do to encourage one bun to lose weight and one bun to gain a little?

I have noticed that Fay has been getting very podgy. She did have her space reduced quite a bit when we first moved her and Kenco outdoors but now have a lovely big kennel with run attached. The thing is that she has become a submissive bunny (where as she was once quite feisty) and Kenco is the dominant bunny. He nearly always gets his nose in first to the food bowl and kind of hogs the hay basket too, often blocking her access so she has to reach right over him to get to the hay. They also have another hay bale but because of Kenco's wee problems that can sometimes become soiled.

How can I encourage her to lose weight and him to gain a little? He isnt skinny skinny but I think thinner than he was, so she must be eating more veg and pellets than he is.

Any ideas how to do this?

All I can suggest is feed them separately, but that's a pain. I know my vet said Grim could do with putting on a bit of weight and Smoo was a bit on the big side. I started feeding them separately and when they were re-weighed, Smoo had lost 100g and Grim had put on 100g. :lol:

Smoo gets so jealous though because she is sure Grim is getting more food than her, it's just that she eats hers faster.

Yes thats all I can think is that maybe she eats way faster. It would be a pain to feed them separately but if we have to then thats what we'll do.

I think I will get some more toys and tubes for them to encourage her to move a bit more.

I am considering reducing their pellets right down to an eggcup - at the moment they get 50g of Allen & Page a day per bun as this is what the instructions are. The only thing is I dont want to stop Kenco getting his amount as I think he needs it, I am worried about giving him too many greens because of his wee problem at the moment.

Or else I wondered whether using two treat balls as a way of feeding them would be an idea? As it would slow Fay down and mean she has to work harder to get to her food?

Why not feed them together and then later on in the day give Kenco a little extra on his own?

Why not feed them together and then later on in the day give Kenco a little extra on his own?

Thats a good idea. Though I dont know how we would prevent Fay's nose going in the bowl!!! :lol::lol: Thank you Jenova :wave::wave: Wish me luck! :)

Kenco's weight loss may be related to his suspected bladder/kidney/EC problems so it may not be behavioural entirely.

Perhaps Fay could have some free run in the garden time if garden is secure?? Burn off some calories! ;)

Kenco's weight loss may be related to his suspected bladder/kidney/EC problems so it may not be behavioural entirely.

Perhaps Fay could have some free run in the garden time if garden is secure?? Burn off some calories! ;)

Thanks Vicky, I did wonder whether it might be related to Kenco's problems.

Whenever she has free range time in the garden, she either gets in to all the nooks and crannies where we cant reach or more likely she just sits on her bum and eats grass!! :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Back