• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Sore foot

Ellasyn

Mama Doe
I need a bit of advice, I know some people on here have rexes prone to sore feet so Im sure someone here will have tips.

I checked Buzzby over this evening and he's had a bit of poo stuck in his tail and found the only bit of mud where the flower bed escaped onto the patio where he lives so had grubby feet. I wiped off the mud and have teased the poo bit out of his tail, but on closer inspection found a bit of sore on his left back foot near the heel. Its red and bald, but not open wound or anything. Most of his foot is a mass of fluff, just this little bit of sore bald on there. Ive made sure he's clean with wipes and put him in his hutch but covered the floor thats normally just wood with megazorb so its softer, not that he sits there often.

So, Im not sure why he has a sore bit, could it be from being out on wet patio? What do I need to do to make sure it gets better, not worse? Should I stop him going on the patio til it heals?

That sounds like sore hocks.

I am currently treating a couple of mine for this. Being on hay that bounces and has some 'spring' can help the feet, and I have also been using Sudocrem which is good.

I would suggest searching 'sore hocks' because my knowledge is very minimal and you'll probably get a lot of info that way.

Thanks for the tips. His bed area which is what he spends most of his time on when he's inside is all soft hay. Im worried about him going on the hard patio, but he has such a fluffy winter coat bringing him in isnt an option, and then he cant stay in :cry:

Ive got loads of sudocrem, best stuff for my dry skin :lol: and if the horses get any sore bits. I was concerned about him licking it off and harming himself.

Back