• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Timothy Hay

Georgeypudding

Wise Old Thumper
Can any reccomend a site that sells big bags of this for a decent price please, dont want to pay £3ish for a tiny bag :roll:

Im lloking too - been after a bale of it & was told ot ring the local farmers...ummm....i dont know any!:roll::lol:

Im lloking too - been after a bale of it & was told ot ring the local farmers...ummm....i dont know any!:roll::lol:

as far as I know none of my local farmers have any bales of timothy :roll: plus all the bales I see around are round ones and/or kept out in all weathers :(

I buy mine in bulk from the Willow Warren - my buns love it (although my wallet doesn't!) Because I buy so much at a time it isn't cheap and you will need somewhere to keep the boxes, but it is cheaper than buying smaller amounts.

I buy mine in bulk from the Willow Warren - my buns love it (although my wallet doesn't!) Because I buy so much at a time it isn't cheap and you will need somewhere to keep the boxes, but it is cheaper than buying smaller amounts.

£18 for a large box of timothy hay is pretty good! thanks :D

just gone onto the 'willow warren' website- has anyone used the timothy rich hay from them?

Yes for the last nearly 4 years! It's fabulous and exceptional quality. Cheapest way to do it is to get a box deal. I have two buns and they get through two large boxes within 4-6 weeks. The dried plantain is fab too :D
The farmer is lovely, knows his stuff and grows it the old fashioned way so little need for herbicides etc. He stores it in a humidity controlled environment and freezes every bale to kill off any mites etc. Yes it is expensive - 2 large boxes plus delivery is just over £40 but IMO and the bunnies's opinions it is the best hay around. :):wave:

Yes for the last nearly 4 years! It's fabulous and exceptional quality. Cheapest way to do it is to get a box deal. I have two buns and they get through two large boxes within 4-6 weeks. The dried plantain is fab too :D
The farmer is lovely, knows his stuff and grows it the old fashioned way so little need for herbicides etc. He stores it in a humidity controlled environment and freezes every bale to kill off any mites etc. Yes it is expensive - 2 large boxes plus delivery is just over £40 but IMO and the bunnies's opinions it is the best hay around. :):wave:

Im going to be ordering a large box from them £29 (ish) works out 20p more expensive per kg than p@h stuff and Im asuming this is nicer :D

Im going to be ordering a large box from them £29 (ish) works out 20p more expensive per kg than p@h stuff and Im asuming this is nicer :D

Er.... that would be like comparing chips with caviar! :lol: If I offered my two a bag from P@H they would probably pack their bags and leave home, there is no comparison in the quality and freshness of the hay. WWW hay is fresh bales divided up into boxes. Very important you store it inside in a dry room (pref below 40 deg) to keep it fresh. It will last months if you do this, but we are through two large boxes in less than a month at the moment so not a problem here. Just a warning, this year the summer was very dry which has caused issues with brittleness with the hay, for this reason a substantial amount of the bale (box) is broken up into very small pieces amongst the longer stuff. There was nothing the farmer could do about it, he cut it at night to reduce breakage but it is a natural product grown traditionally and so there is variation each year and from bale to bale (depending which part of the field it has been cut from). :wave:

Er.... that would be like comparing chips with caviar! :lol: If I offered my two a bag from P@H they would probably pack their bags and leave home, there is no comparison in the quality and freshness of the hay. WWW hay is fresh bales divided up into boxes. Very important you store it inside in a dry room (pref below 40 deg) to keep it fresh. It will last months if you do this, but we are through two large boxes in less than a month at the moment so not a problem here. Just a warning, this year the summer was very dry which has caused issues with brittleness with the hay, for this reason a substantial amount of the bale (box) is broken up into very small pieces amongst the longer stuff. There was nothing the farmer could do about it, he cut it at night to reduce breakage but it is a natural product grown traditionally and so there is variation each year and from bale to bale (depending which part of the field it has been cut from). :wave:

Would the loft do?
We have the heating on - have no idea what temp it is indoors.
or the shed?
Though it can get damp I guess outdoors...but my bales are outdoors in the shed?:?

Would the loft do?
We have the heating on - have no idea what temp it is indoors.
or the shed?
Though it can get damp I guess outdoors...but my bales are outdoors in the shed?:?

I would keep any WWW boxes inside if possible to keep them dry and low humidity. Because no pesticides/insecticides are used the hay, even though frozen, may have hay mites that feed on the yeasts that grow on the hay when it gets damper. Larger mites called book lice feed on the hay mites and years ago when we used to keep the box in the garage where it was colder and more humid we had some problems with these in the hay. The only way around it is for the hay to be sprayed in the field but I would much rather store my hay correctly and have it organic and natural than sprayed with chemicals. We keep our spare box ours in the spare room under the desk next to the radiator. :)

ETA i'm not saying that there will be any hay mites - freezing the hay deactivates them (this is why he freezes the bales one at a time) but there is always a risk with any natural product. Hay mites are NOT the same thing as Cheyletiella fur mites and other rabbit hosting mites and are COMPLETELY HARMLESS TO BUNNY as are the book lice. They're just a pain the book lice as they live in the cracks in the hutch/walls and you can never get rid of them. By keeping the hay inside in the warm and dry we have NEVER had any more probs. :D

Last edited:

hehe I'd prefer the chips :oops: will it be okay in the conservatory? :wave:

I would keep any WWW boxes inside if possible to keep them dry and low humidity. Because no pesticides/insecticides are used the hay, even though frozen, may have hay mites that feed on the yeasts that grow on the hay when it gets damper. Larger mites called book lice feed on the hay mites and years ago when we used to keep the box in the garage where it was colder and more humid we had some problems with these in the hay. The only way around it is for the hay to be sprayed in the field but I would much rather store my hay correctly and have it organic and natural than sprayed with chemicals. We keep our spare box ours in the spare room under the desk next to the radiator. :)

ETA i'm not saying that there will be any hay mites - freezing the hay deactivates them (this is why he freezes the bales one at a time) but there is always a risk with any natural product. Hay mites are NOT the same thing as Cheyletiella fur mites and other rabbit hosting mites and are COMPLETELY HARMLESS TO BUNNY as are the book lice. They're just a pain the book lice as they live in the cracks in the hutch/walls and you can never get rid of them. By keeping the hay inside in the warm and dry we have NEVER had any more probs. :D

wow - thanks PL!:D So as his hay has been frozen best kept indoors and also as its not in a bale.
Im guessing the usual meadow hay farm bales can be stored outdoors in the shed?:?

I use WWW hay and have done for quite a few years. Its great quality and must warn you the buns get through a lot of it. As has been said before the box deals are better value and the plantain is lovely if you don't dry your own.

wow - thanks PL!:D So as his hay has been frozen best kept indoors and also as its not in a bale.
Im guessing the usual meadow hay farm bales can be stored outdoors in the shed?:?

No idea, can't really comment on other farmers and what they spray or don't spray their hay crops with! :?

No idea, can't really comment on other farmers and what they spray or don't spray their hay crops with! :?

But PL you know EVERYTHING! Whats going on!?:shock::lol:
I asked at the farm shop where I got my bales form - theri is kept in a barn....Im sure it will be fine - from what I know it supposed to mature more if left as a bale, must be lifted off the floor for air ciculation.

I just thought youd probably be able to confirm for me! :oops: thanks for the advice on the boxed hay!:D

Back