• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Looking after someone elses rabbit....some advice please :-)

chelle

Warren Veteran
Hi all,

Ive been asked to look after a rabbit for about a month.

Ive asked the obvious - sex, neutered, vacs & indoor or outdoor.

Reply:
Sex: Male - rex cross something:?
Neutered: NO
Vacs - was advised no as an indoor rabbit :roll:

Ok - so here is my situation - my girls are indoors at the moment - so even though they are spayed - they have not been introduced to an other rabbits as yet - they have seen the neighbours - but they ran away. I dont have space for another indoor cage that would - at least I htink - give enough space for a bunny to live in for a whole month.

Also - very concerned about vacs - am I right in saying myxi will transfer if contacted by an UN-vaccinated bun to mine if they are bitten by the same insect? and VHD is catchy isnt it?

I think I will insist so far the rabbit has to be vaccinated first & proof given if the above is right.

I am abit concerned to having a rabbit indoors that is not neutered what with hormones etc....but how can I ask them if he can stay outside if he hasnt been out already & wont have a winter coat?

Ive tried to offer help to someone I dont know & now am wondering if I have done the right thing. I dont mind looking after another rabbit for someone but obvioulsy dont want to upset mine...or more like make them ill.

They are happy to drop off the rabbit & the food. I do find it odd as they dont know me either, but cant afford boarding it.

Advice on health / vacs & how I can help this bunny, inform the owner abit more would be great....
thanks!:)

I agree about getting it vaccinated. I would also suggest you need strict quarantine well away from your bunnies.

Good luck with the hormones. If he shows the hormonal behaviour then that can be messy! He may be able to smell your girls and that may encourage spraying and suchlike.

Be careful. Remember your two are your priority. You can provide her with advice and maybe help her find boarding if you feel unable to take him on?

Id be very worried about the vaccinations hun but however if looking after someone elses rabbit id recomment keeping it away from your girls anyways for example say your girls live in the living room then id have your friends rabbit in a different room as their are different things which are contagious such as E.C.

Im currently looking after a rabbit for a rescue and have it living in the shed away from my 2 and while mine exercise in teh garden this rabbit exercises in the kitchen so there no direct contact at all and no risk of anything passing on from either my rabbits to hers or from her rabbit to mine if that makes sense :)

I agree about getting it vaccinated. I would also suggest you need strict quarantine well away from your bunnies.

Good luck with the hormones. If he shows the hormonal behaviour then that can be messy! He may be able to smell your girls and that may encourage spraying and suchlike.

Be careful. Remember your two are your priority. You can provide her with advice and maybe help her find boarding if you feel unable to take him on?

Id be very worried about the vaccinations hun but however if looking after someone elses rabbit id recomment keeping it away from your girls anyways for example say your girls live in the living room then id have your friends rabbit in a different room as their are different things which are contagious such as E.C.

Im currently looking after a rabbit for a rescue and have it living in the shed away from my 2 and while mine exercise in teh garden this rabbit exercises in the kitchen so there no direct contact at all and no risk of anything passing on from either my rabbits to hers or from her rabbit to mine if that makes sense :)

Thanks Sky-O & Crystal butterfly!

ok - so Im right in the myxi & that VHD is contagious?
How is EC contacted?

Id prefer to keep the rabbit outsoddr - purely for the quarantine issue....even if they are in different rooms - could I pass on anything form this bun to mine?
Would I have to change clothes for example? Sounds extreme I know - but dont know what can be passed between buns in this way?
:oops:

yes - my girls are def. priority. I am wondering how the rabbit is supposed to get exercise...I did say the accomdation would have to be supplied...but as its an indoor rabbit - im presuming the owner thinks it can stay indoors....but this may not be possible....they are thinking about feb/mar or earlier - so with this in mind I dont think the rabbit would survice outdoors very well...esp. being a rex.:?

Im happy to advise about boarding but they cant afford it - else they would just do that. I suggested asking a rescue or boarding place to look after him for the month & then she could volenteer for them for so many weeks or fund raise or something but no mention of this suggestion was made- just they would love my help, can drop him off & can pay for food.

I'd like to email them with medical vet advice regarding the vacs - so anyone who has something written thats basic & clear regarding why vacs for even indoor buns are essential would be great. Very bad vet advice i think...:?

thanks guys - OH has no idea yet...:oops::lol: But will only do whats right for my girls & hopefully this bunny.:)

The other problem you could have is that, as I understand it, you have a pair of bonded girls together? and they are indoors?, if you bring a male in that is not neutered then it could start your girls of fighting each other, even if he is outside they will smell him on your clothes

I agree that the bunny should be vaccinated and really he should be in quarentine, you don't know what he is carrying

The other problem you could have is that, as I understand it, you have a pair of bonded girls together? and they are indoors?, if you bring a male in that is not neutered then it could start your girls of fighting each other, even if he is outside they will smell him on your clothes

I agree that the bunny should be vaccinated and really he should be in quarentine, you don't know what he is carrying

Hey!
Yeah - your right - thats my setup at the moment.
Im grateful for any advice so that is a worry about my girls possibly fighting.

I do have a un-neutered male rabbit next door who I sometimes stroke etc & who has "visited" my girls when they were outdoors by jumping into my garden....but the visit was brief & I dont know what would happen if he was around more with his hormone smells etc....

I will advise about vaccinations - even if they boarded their rabbit - vacs would be required.

What would a quarantine setup be out of interest?
And what do you do, eg.change clothes disinfect yourself etc, with regards to looking after other rabbits?

I did wonder when I was at the rescue the other day with regards to this & taking home any ilnesses to my pair.

The last thing I want is my girls to fall out, get ill & also for the other bunny to get ill with stress or disease etc.

Alot to consider.:?

Something I think you need to agree is - how much of a vet bill you could run up if the rabbit became ill.

Some rabbit owners would just have the bun pts than pay a large bill.

Something I think you need to agree is - how much of a vet bill you could run up if the rabbit became ill.

Some rabbit owners would just have the bun pts than pay a large bill.

yeah - thanks - did think about this.
They may change their mind.

Id want vacs done, poss spay. Vet visit near me to confirm their costs for any vet needs & authoriszation from the owner.

Thanks for the advice....all great being able to help but the animals well being needs to be well assessed first. Its a big responsibility.:)

Myxi is catching by flies and fleas, and some people say by like the puss as well. VHD is pretty highly contagious.

When I quarantine rabbits, they are far away from the others, and I'm aware of all the 'invisibles' so there's a lot of use of the handgel, specific clothes for the bunnies, I've even got like medical plasticy shoes, gloves, sleeves and aprony things for that too. Take no chance of cross contamination.

EC is spread via urine, but the majority of bunnies will be a carrier due to it being passed on by their mum.

He definitely can't go outside if he is an indoor bunny.

Myxi is catching by flies and fleas, and some people say by like the puss as well. VHD is pretty highly contagious.

When I quarantine rabbits, they are far away from the others, and I'm aware of all the 'invisibles' so there's a lot of use of the handgel, specific clothes for the bunnies, I've even got like medical plasticy shoes, gloves, sleeves and aprony things for that too. Take no chance of cross contamination.

EC is spread via urine, but the majority of bunnies will be a carrier due to it being passed on by their mum.

He definitely can't go outside if he is an indoor bunny.

Thankyou Sky-O!
I wondered about helping at the rescue & did wash hands etc but all those "invisible" things is worrying.
I can only think of putting him the spare room - but he wouldnt be able to see out & feel bad for him ...also space to run - there is no way he could have free range indoors without a pen....
I dont know if will be bale to help this person after all....i feel bad now....will email them with some bits & info etc and see what they say. If all the above can be sorted out Im happt to help, but otherwise its too risky.

Another thing - If you foster buns - do you have to do the whole disinfect thing too every time between the buns? Ive seen setups for fostyeres indoors & outdoors and the buns can all see each other? and also at rescue they dont seem to isolate them?

Bit confused about that....:?

Back