PDA

View Full Version : Ack. A dilemma :(



Sky-O
25-11-2010, 10:54 PM
Sandy is brewing an imminent dental. She showed signs of needing a dental 12 days after her previous (possibly to do with a less experienced vet doing it?). She was intermittently drooling.

She was still very bright and keeping good condition and such, and my vet said to leave it as long as possible so if the drooling gets constant, or if she stops eating or starts losing weight. Currently, she is grand, stuffing her face with hay, bounding voer first for food, generally being a pickle. she is also obviously on Metacam.

As I say, currently she is grand.

So what's the dilemma? Well, she's an outside bunny. If she deteriorates overnight, any night, then these temperatures could make her severely ill. I'm worried about leaving it too long and her getting ill because of that, even if all is well when I go to bed. I will be pottering around at 3-4am-ish doing snugglesafes and such but its still a huge risk.

I'm wondering whether to get her dental done now- well tomorrow (16 days after her previous dental, but potentially by the same vet who is not my regular vet and is a new vet, and I wonder if her lack of experience may have contributed) or whether to keep going as we are because she is so bright and still very much ok despite drooling and such.

Can anyone offer any thoughts on this?

Jenova
25-11-2010, 11:02 PM
Personally I would keep going. Or at least wait until your preferred vet can do the operation. I think it's more of a risk to do another operation so soon after and in this weather. And she could be fine for a while.

If she stops eating you should notice before it's critical. Is it possible to weigh her once a week to keep an eye on things?

tanya_306
25-11-2010, 11:04 PM
I would keep going with the feeding ... but find out when the experienced vet is working next and book a dental for then. ;)

Sky-O
25-11-2010, 11:06 PM
Thank you so much for your replies Jenova and Tanya :) I hate it when my thoughts start spinning in my head.

My vet can do the operation on Tuesdays, Wednesdays or Thursdays, which obviously are the days I would prefer for her to go in.

I don't think weighing her once a week would be sufficient. I could weigh daily (I have 5 other daily weigh bunnies, what's one more :lol:), but I know her so well, just by stroking her back I would be able to tell that she was losing. She's such a foody bunny it would be clear by her behaviour too.

I really don't want to jump to a dental too early, but I really, really don't want her to die because I'm useless and didn't get her a dental when I should have (this is what carrying the guilt of past deaths does with ANY decision like this).

VickiP
25-11-2010, 11:14 PM
Thank you so much for your replies Jenova and Tanya :) I hate it when my thoughts start spinning in my head.

My vet can do the operation on Tuesdays, Wednesdays or Thursdays, which obviously are the days I would prefer for her to go in.

I don't think weighing her once a week would be sufficient. I could weigh daily (I have 5 other daily weigh bunnies, what's one more :lol:), but I know her so well, just by stroking her back I would be able to tell that she was losing. She's such a foody bunny it would be clear by her behaviour too.

I really don't want to jump to a dental too early, but I really, really don't want her to die because I'm useless and didn't get her a dental when I should have (this is what carrying the guilt of past deaths does with ANY decision like this).

I wouldn't have it done unless necessary, I don't think I'd panic either about her going 6-7 hours if you give her something to eat like a crunchie before bed and she is fine, I would sleep well because honestly i think she will be fine. :wave:

Sky-O
25-11-2010, 11:20 PM
I wouldn't have it done unless necessary, I don't think I'd panic either about her going 6-7 hours if you give her something to eat like a crunchie before bed and she is fine, I would sleep well because honestly i think she will be fine. :wave:

Thank you Vicky :) We know its going to be necessary (or could be seen as necessary now) we are just trying to delay as long as possible. If I feed her when I come down in the middle of the night and just before I go to bed then hopefully you're right and that won't be long enough for her to have any sort of problem because there will be food in her system.

Thank you :)

Jenova
25-11-2010, 11:25 PM
I think as long you know she's eaten before you go to bed then she should be fine for the night. Maybe give her extra hay or a fleece to keep her warm?

Sky-O
25-11-2010, 11:26 PM
They are bundled up to the eyballs with hay, but I can whack in a snuggle safe :) I'll do that now.

donnamt
25-11-2010, 11:38 PM
*hugs* go with your gut hun, no doubt if it becomes an emergency youll get it sorted asap and until then you both should wait for the right vet :D xxxx

katie2000
25-11-2010, 11:41 PM
:wave: I think you should wait too! I always panic about getting mine done too early but I think when you are watching her so closely you will notice the slightest change and take her straight in before she gets any worse

Sky-O
25-11-2010, 11:44 PM
Thank you Donna and Katie :)

You have all reassured me a lot, which is great :) I appreciate that hugely.

I have given them a Snugglesafe now, and left her nomming banana while Roger was sniffing the snugglesafe, presumably thinking 'this isn't banana'. :roll::lol:

I'll check her in the night and just keep doing that while the weather is cool. mum feeds them at about 7.30 to make sure she is eating and normal and stuff so we have a good system :)

Thank you guys!