• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

What does the start of a respiratory infection sound like?

Boudicca

Warren Veteran
Since Ive been home from work Daisy has been making little squeaky sounds! It's louder when she eats and when she's snoozing it's almost like a little snore! Is this the start of a respiratory infection, something else or nothing at all? No weepy eyes or nose no other symptoms at all and she's acting normally!

Last edited:
BB and Sea both presented with these symptoms in the last 10 days - both have upper respiratory infections and are on meds to get it under control before it moves to their chest.

The quicker you get the meds starteds the better.

Sounds like what Nutmeg does, her's has been checked out and it's damage in her lungs due to a previous infection (before she came to us). Best to get it checked out.

Ok thanks!! I will monitor closely tonight and if she sounds the same tomorrow morning we will be off to the vet asap!! Thanks again!!

Well shes still making a few little grunty piggy noises when she eats so Im going to get an appointment! Im assuming it is a little particle that shes inhaled rather than an infection?! as she attacked her few pellets with such gusto last night and I heard the little grunty noise and thought she was going at them too fast and then the noise sort of stayed! Having had a search I know this could turn into an infection but how should the vet be able to tell if it is a particle and how should that be treated vs a bacterial infection. There is no discharge from nose or eyes and she doesnt make the noise all the time, just mainly when eating and a few times when she's snoozing! So theres a high probability she won't even make the noise when at the vets! I just know my vet will automatically prescibe a week of Baytril, will that be good enough in this instance?

A vet isn't really going to be able to tell the difference so will probably prescribe abx regardless to be on the safe side. Either way, an inhaled (aspirated) particle can cause a lower RTI in it's own right so treating with abx for both causes is the safest course of action.

When Poppy choked and then aspirated (saliva/leaf particle) she was given a very strong course of abx because Pneumonia (and the risk of) is very serious in rabbits. LA Engymycin.

Good luck hope Daisy is ok. The noise you describe sounds very similar. Poppy had a permanent wheeze after she aspirated but it got fainter and fainter day by day over about 3-4 days. x

ETA just seen your Q that i've sort of answered - no, baytril is not sufficient in my book for a suspected LRTI, you need to hit them hard and quickly.

no, baytril is not sufficient in my book for a suspected LRTI, you need to hit them hard and quickly.

Thank you!! Do you have any suggestions re stronger abx so when I discuss it with the vet I'll feel happier if he suggests one that has already been recommended! and how long should she be treated for?

Thank you!! Do you have any suggestions re stronger abx so when I discuss it with the vet I'll feel happier if he suggests one that has already been recommended! and how long should she be treated for?

Like I said we used a long acting tetracycline (LA Engymycin). Other suitable abx would be depocillin (penicillin) - both injectable only.
However, I would let your vet examine first, they will be able to hear breath sounds and any wheeze on ascultation with a stethoscope and whether or not a LRTI is suspected in the first place. You do need a good reason to prescribe the above abx as they are strong and carry risks.

Like I said we used a long acting tetracycline (LA Engymycin). Other suitable abx would be depocillin (penicillin) - both injectable only.
However, I would let your vet examine first, they will be able to hear breath sounds and any wheeze on ascultation with a stethoscope and whether or not a LRTI is suspected in the first place. You do need a good reason to prescribe the above abx as they are strong and carry risks.

Oh sorry :oops: thought the La Engymycin was some scientific name for the pneumonia Thank you very much again! I always like to go armed with a bit of knowledge!

Ive heard her do mild versions of that when shes been here, unless its a different sort of squeaky noise - but that didnt sound anything to worry about.

But then..it could be a different sound altogether! hope she is feeling ok!

Ive heard her do mild versions of that when shes been here, unless its a different sort of squeaky noise - but that didnt sound anything to worry about.

But then..it could be a different sound altogether! hope she is feeling ok!

Yes she has always done it, but only occasionally when she's cleaning or if she does a very fast troughing of something tasty :lol:!!

The cleaning one is because she is a little 'podgy' and its when she over stretches she sort of does a grunty squeak. Whenever shes done it eating Ive thought it was going to be followed by choking :shock: This is different though, it's more continual when she's eating and she's never done it before when snoozing! Im convinced she troughed the few little pellets she has too quickly last night when made that sound and now its continued!

Last edited:
If it's any consolation, Poppy also makes funny little grunts when she's cleaning herself if you sit near her in a quiet room. Dwarf lops have very flat faces and potentially narrowed sinuses anyway that can make them squeak and grunt a bit more than your average bun at times.

Yalta has made the squeaking noises for years, although they have been getting progressively worse. The vets have done a thorough investigation at the time and could find no signs of infection.

her's was more nasal, and opinion seemed to be that it was in the main due to her ND nose form and cavity where the breeding resulted in a more un-natural shape.

Martin

I've only just seen this. Hopefully it was just Her Fattyness making a pig of herself and nothing serious. :love:

I've only just seen this. Hopefully it was just Her Fattyness making a pig of herself and nothing serious. :love:

:lol: well it seems this may well have been the case!!! the best apt (less stressfull for Duds) I could get was 8.45am tomorrow and Ive just got in from work and given them their dinner and the grunting has completely gone!!! She must have inhaled something which has sorted itself out hurrah :D!! I will be watching her closely to makesure nothing sinister develops over the next week or so! Unfortunately for D&D they still aren't getting out of the vet trip as I can use it for their myxo boosters!! I will of course makesure the vet still gives her a thorough check over and listens to her lungs!

Thank you for you support and thank you Prettylupin I have added these notes to my growing list of bunny treatments!!

Unfortunately for D&D they still aren't getting out of the vet trip as I can use it for their myxo boosters!!

Oh no, you're going to be in their bad books tomorrow. :lol::lol:

I'm glad it seems to have resolved itself and hopefully the vet will confirm as much too. :D

Back