• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

temporary winter-proofing

susie bun

Wise Old Thumper
Spenser's new hutch-hugger is going to take 20 days to arrive, so as well as the plastic sheet that covers the back, front and roof of the hutch, I have added bubby-wrap to the sides of the under-run. The wood comes out from the mesh an inch or so, so there is now way Spenser could get at the plastic. I have also added a piece of board to one side; the board will go to mush if it rains, but it's too cold for rain to be likely in the near future.

I bought thermawrap from Homebase to provide warmth and reflect heat back inside the hutch. I made a panel lined with it to fit over most of the mesh for at night.

http://www.homebase.co.uk/webapp/wc...partNumber=127033&Trail=searchtext>INSULATION

I have fastened it to the outside of the huge hutch and I also bought a large sheet of lorry trap from a camping and caravan place to fix over the top of this to keep out the wet. Could you use a tarp to cover the board to protect it from damp?

I also recommend the snugglesafe that others here suggested I use to make a warm den. My elderly rabbit thinks its fantastic.

Hope the hutch hugger arrives soon.

My mum said it might just be easier to bubble wrap the bunnies :lol:

We've just thrown an old duvet cover over the top of the aviary and pegged it on, and the front shutters haven't been opened in days. 3 sides are boarded in - the only open bits at the moment are the gardens on the front, but they have a layer of tarpaulin and and layer of bubble wrap and layer of plastic sheet over them at night.

Bubble wrap is great for insulation. My boys don't use their bottles much, preferring their bowls (which haven't actually frozen inside the aviary yet, even tho the bird baths etc in the garden have frozen - so the extra layers must be helping!) but the bottles will be having a wrapping of bubble wrap next.

i have lined the bottom of my hutch with newspaper (whcih is keeping the bunnies amused with all of the shredding :? not what i had in mind), megazorb on top then straw. Bed area is full of straw although they are not using it at the moment. I have finally finished my hand made silver insulation cover and have just put that on tonight. I have put a layer of carpet on top of the hutch and then 3 pillow cases full of straw on top of the hutch in the hope it will insulate form the top (not sure how effective this will be) AS soon as i can get my hands on some polystyrene i think i will wedge that under the hutch and between the hutch and the insulation cover.

I can get pics tomorrow. I made it using a needle and thread ( yes I sewed it!) and a lot of tape. :)

HI

Im worried about the cold nights here too, and we had our first little flurry of snow last night.
Her bed has a good layer of newspaper that I have brought up at sides and back/front and filled top-bottom with hay. Check it each morning and shes burrowed into that. Also I have put a good layer of paper in her living area which Im changing daily cause she wees and it spreads!

This morning though when I went out to her she was sitting downstairs looking out so Im thinking shes not that cold hahaha!.
The hutch is covered with a cardboard on top, carpet that covers half way down nad plastic sheet doubled over that covers half way. This seems to keep her happy at mo and our waters not frozen either so assume its not too cold in there :)

:D

the website was great and have given me loads of ideas Even though two of my hutches are in the shed i still worry about them getting cold especialy the little ones. Bramble is out side but we went and got the siler loft insolation and polystyrene and but tha all around his hutch and covered in with a tapoline. Have a clear shower curtain in the front as he likes to look out whn he is lying upstairs and gos mad if he cant. Also have tarp on the top and sides of his run. He still has to be able to see out the front lol.

Was thinking about snugglesalfes too.

If you've got a big hutch then something like this will help: http://www.therabbithouse.com/outdoor/insulating-rabbit-hutch.asp

Big roomy hutches are great for exercise space but a small snuggly bed area is better for keeping bunnies warm :D

Made this for my two's playhouse on Thursday, and you know what :roll: They just sit in their run rather than going into their playhouse to keep warm.

I worry about them, but they have the choice of going inside with lovely straw filled hidey places and snugglesafes and insulated carpeted little houses and their run which is protected with taupolin, and they lay in their run, like dogs basking in the sun, flat out at 7am this morning!

And yes we had snow here :shock:

Made this for my two's playhouse on Thursday, and you know what :roll: They just sit in their run rather than going into their playhouse to keep warm.

I worry about them, but they have the choice of going inside with lovely straw filled hidey places and snugglesafes and insulated carpeted little houses and their run which is protected with taupolin, and they lay in their run, like dogs basking in the sun, flat out at 7am this morning!

And yes we had snow here :shock:

lol your bunnies sound like my bramble. Me and my mum today sent most of the afternoon winter proofing all the hutches and covering the to of brambles hutch with plastic and when i went out to feed and check them at 10pm Bramble was out in his hutch looking pleased with himself. they just dont understand needed to keep warm lol

Back