• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do I want another bunny?

Joh619

Alpha Buck
Hey,

I have been offered another bunny, but I can't decide what to do! Basically a friend had 4 buns, but one recently died (he was quite old). They have 3 left, 2 of which are quite old but one is around 3. They don't want this one to be left on its own, so offered her to me.

Thing is, she's not spayed or vaccinated, so would have to stay on her own until we got that done. Then my plan would be to bond her with Nora and Walter.

I really don't know what's best to do though! Nora and Walter are inside for the winter, but are in the conservatory with the heating off so is still quite cold in there so they have their winter coats. This bun lives outside so will also have her winter coat. I don't really have anywhere else in the house I could put her and be able to turn the heating off so it's not too hot for her, so she'd have to say outside for the moment.

Then there's the problem that if she doesn't get on with my 2 I'd have to keep them separate.

I'm hoping to get an aviary for the buns this year, so if I had 3 it wouldn't be a problem (and would force my OH to let me put one in as their hutch/run would to too small for 3).

I just can't decide what to do! I'd love to get her and bond her with my 2 as I know she's living on her own at the moment, but I don't know if it's the right thing to do or if I'm just being selfish.

Does anyone have any ideas or more information to help me make more of an informed decision?
:?

Could you tell them you will take it but only after its spayed, recovered and been vaccinated? so they would have to get that done.

You would have to consider what you would do if they didn't bond though.

I was considering asking them to get her spayed/vaccinated first, even if I pay for it as it would solve a lot of the problems. But I dunno what they'd say to that.

If they didn't bond then I'd have to find a husbun for her. I don't think my OH would be that impressed with having two lots of bunnies, but I wouldn't get rid of her if she didn't get on with Nora and Walter.

Could you tell them you will take it but only after its spayed, recovered and been vaccinated? so they would have to get that done.

You would have to consider what you would do if they didn't bond though.

do this ^^ but also explain that if by any chance the bond doesnt work you cannot have her, but its much easier to rehome her if shes speyed. :)

When people surrender animals to rescues they are asked to make a donation towards the care of their animal, so asking them to do that is not unreasonable, or unfair. They may need to be reminded about that if they do get funny.

Hopefully they're sending me some photos this weekend so I can wave them at my OH and show how cute she is and I can maybe suggest this idea to them then :)

Back