• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Can anyone tell me how to set up an animal rescue?

stranger23

Mama Doe
Hi my friend really wants to start an animal rescue as she has taken in loads of animals that people cant keep as seeing as she has the time and space she thought it would be nice if she got registered and put all of her time into helping animals in need, i will be helping her with any rabbits and guinea pigs she gets as they are what im into and our friend will be looking after any birds as she knows what she is doing with them, my friend who will own the rescue will cover anything else all of us are stay at home mums who have plenty of free time to help the animals. What we need to know is how to become a registered charity? were not going to go into this lightly and we are doing all the research we can to find out what it will take so any information you can give will be great.

She has a bit and has loads of people offering help be it cleaning out or offering food and shelters

a bit just won't cut it im afraid.

SOme of the sanctuaries/rescues have vet bills alone of £1500/month or more.

Also, once your friend is 'official' is she publicises that fact she will end up wiht a lot of animals turning up on her door step.

I hope she isn't taking this idea lightly.

No she isnt going into this lightly thats why im on here trying to find out any info i can and she is researching to, we know vet bill can be expensive and are taking that into account. Thank you for the link i will take a look now

I would echo what others have said about money too...You will either need pots of money to fund the rescue yourselves or plenty of free time to do fundraising activities.

I run a very small rabbit sanctuary which is mainly funded by the wages from my full time job. I have received a few very kind donations (even though I've only been 'official' for a few months)...but I know that donations will never be enough to pay for all our expenses.

Will tell her about the site :) she isnt really the rabbit person thats more my area, and everyone who has offered to help has plenty of spare time to spend fund raising, she has had offers of food and homes for animals and i have quite a few cages and things put away that she can use (i cant throw anything away lol)

Are you able to go along to a rescue and spend some time working there to see how they do it. There is a very big rescue in Northampton.

We rescue small numbers of rabbits.

It is seriously hard work and takes up all and I mean all of my time. I had worked at two other rescues before going it alone.

There is a thread on here already that someone else started as they want to rescue - if you do a quick search you will see a lot of suggestions about things to thing about before taking the plunge.

Will tell her about the site :) she isnt really the rabbit person thats more my area, and everyone who has offered to help has plenty of spare time to spend fund raising, she has had offers of food and homes for animals and i have quite a few cages and things put away that she can use (i cant throw anything away lol)

Would the rescue be Northants based?

Yes it would be northants based, thank you will look at the links :) I have worked in rescues myself when i was younger and know its not easy which is why im getting loads of info for her so she knows exactly what is required

Yes it would be northants based, thank you will look at the links :) I have worked in rescues myself when i was younger and know its not easy which is why im getting loads of info for her so she knows exactly what is required

You're not far from us then (I'm on the border of Leics/Northants). Might be useful to swap details/info/policies when you're further down the line :)

Yes that would be good Fluffers, might pop up and see you some time if thats ok, i want to go round a few different rescues to see how everyone does it and what layouts work best

Yes that would be good Fluffers, might pop up and see you some time if thats ok, i want to go round a few different rescues to see how everyone does it and what layouts work best

try animals in need and NANNA aswell (not heard great things about NANNA though) and there is Rabbit Rescue in Northamptonshire, she's only bunnis but may have some advice :wave:

Back