• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

First Aid Kit For Rabbits

Tasmin's MOB

Mama Doe
:wave:

Simon (oh) read that In case of accident or sudden illness, it is always good to have a rabbit first aid kit on hand, so that you can easily find all the things you may need.

The Contents:

* Syringes without needles in different sizes (for force-feeding)
* Nail Clippers
* Thermometer to measure fever and hypothermia
* Tick Tweezers
* Brushes to clean coat and remove loose hairs
* Flea Comb
* Sterile gauze to dress wounds
* Scissors
* Leukoplast
* Against gas: Equate or Sili-Met-San
* Against constipation: Prozyme
* Wound Treatment: wound spray. Camomile tea
* Norit; against poisoning (after eating toxic plants) (drugstore/pharmacy)

"Rabbits should be taken to the vets before self-medicating on any other substances"

I think this is a good idea, I thought I would share it incase other rabbit owners don't have one.

Does anyone have a first aid kit for there bun or anything similar?

I have a few things but in most cases it would be straight to the vet anyway. Syringe feeding is a real no no unless you have been told to by the vet..
I guess this is from a US site?

There have been some threads like this in the past.
Some of the stuff on the list seems a bit strange to me.

Not a US site I wouldn't trust this, it's from my house rabbit book that I have got. I am unsure as to when you would need to use a syringe but I guess if you called the emergency vet and they said its urgent that you get something in them then it might be useful to have.
I would always consult the vet before giving anything to my rabbit(s) but I think having a first aid kit on side is not going to cause any harm is it?

What stuff seems strange?

:
* Leukoplast
* Against gas: Equate or Sili-Met-San
* Against constipation: Prozyme
* Wound Treatment: wound spray. Camomile tea
* Norit; against poisoning (after eating toxic plants) (drugstore/pharmacy)

These are the things I thought weird, maybe it's an American book,

I think it is a good idea if you know a bit about buns but if someone who doesn't know they may panic, give a rabbit something that does more harm that good.

These are the things I thought weird, maybe it's an American book,

I think it is a good idea if you know a bit about buns but if someone who doesn't know they may panic, give a rabbit something that does more harm that good.

Maybe your right although I know myself that I am responsible enough to seek proffesional advise before giving anything to my rabbit and I think most people would be the same.

I think having a first aid kit for a rabbit is the same as having one for a human, your never ever going to use everything but it's there if you ever need it.

I don't necessarily think that all of the contents here are needed either but I wrote this as an example that I have from this book.

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=46658 ;)

My personal feeling is that if someone needs to ask 'what's xxxx product for' or 'how do I use yyyyy', in relation to 'common' things, then your first aid kit should consist of your vet's phone number and a credit card. It can do so much more harm than good by giving something incorrectly or delaying seeking veterinary advice :)

Last edited:
http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=46658 ;)

My personal feeling is that if someone needs to ask 'what's xxxx product for' or 'how do I use yyyyy', in relation to 'common' things, then your first aid kit should consist of your vet's phone number and a credit card. It can do so much more harm than good by giving something incorrectly or delaying seeking veterinary advice :)

Again, I wouldn't give my rabbit something without seeking proffesional advise first.

If a credit card & a phone number is enough for you then that's fine but personally I don't see any harm in having some bits and bobs 'just in case'.

Like I have already said, this is just an example from a book you can put whatever you want into a first aid kit.

Re First Aid Kit

As a trained first aider (for humans) I can't really comment on rabbit first aid.
However for example if I was stuck on a mountain side with a person that had a broken leg I certainly wouldn't be getting my credit card out!! :lol:

Further more do people actually read the posts on this site?

Prevention is defiantly the best way with any animal however I think there’s a saying that goes something like
"Always be prepared!"

If people actually read what I wrote, I wasn't saying there is anything wrong with having a first aid kit, in fact I linked to one already as a sticky on this site ;)

Of course if you're going to seek medical advice before using anything in the kit, it's also worth remembering that's the first half of my suggested emergency kit (i.e. your vet's phone number) just there...

Re First Aid Kit

It wasn't a dig at you Santa,
Just comparing it to what I do for a living (not the same thing I know) Just found it a funny thought. ;)

If people actually read what I wrote, I wasn't saying there is anything wrong with having a first aid kit, in fact I linked to one already as a sticky on this site ;)

Of course if you're going to seek medical advice before using anything in the kit, it's also worth remembering that's the first half of my suggested emergency kit (i.e. your vet's phone number) just there...

I'm sorry if it sounded like I was having a go at you then :(

All I'm trying to say is that I am a responsible pet owner and I care about my bun which is why I thought it might be a good idea. I can understand that sometimes people may use these as an alternative but my point is that I would always ask the vet first x

The only thing I have is some Infacol, just in the event of a bit of bloat where they are still eating which Mischa and Nutmeg get from time to time. Actually I do also have Panacur and Fibreplex but the Fibreplex probably needs to be thrown and the Panacur is from when I used to do that three times yearly. I have a small bit of Zantac and a tiny tiny bit of Metcam from when Smudge went into stasis but both of those I wouldn't use without a vet's say so.

I wouldn't have a clue how to measure a rabbit's temperature (or, more to the point, what it should be), so I personally wouldn't bother with thermometers etc. My crude way of measuring a rabbit's temperature was always to feel their ears.

My own bunny first aid kit would probably consist of syringes for oral fluids, and peppermint tea for GI issues. That's probably about it.

I wouldn't have a clue how to measure a rabbit's temperature (or, more to the point, what it should be), so I personally wouldn't bother with thermometers etc. My crude way of measuring a rabbit's temperature was always to feel their ears.My own bunny first aid kit would probably consist of syringes for oral fluids, and peppermint tea for GI issues. That's probably about it.

This is a really good point, we do the same with checking there ears.

As a trained first aider (for humans) I can't really comment on rabbit first aid.
However for example if I was stuck on a mountain side with a person that had a broken leg I certainly wouldn't be getting my credit card out!! :lol:

Further more do people actually read the posts on this site?

Prevention is defiantly the best way with any animal however I think there’s a saying that goes something like
"Always be prepared!"

but a credit card is useful if you are stuck on a mountain side with a person who has a sucking chest wound:)

Touché Mat ;)
I carry a bit of duct tape etc for such an occasion

Duct tape fixes everything - except maybe rabbits!!

I think vets are the best call for that!! :lol:

Seriously though - for my buns i have infacol and a credit card. :thumb:

Back