• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunnies and snow

Mrs Ord

Mama Doe
Will you be letting yours out to play? Mine were really excited this morning when I opened the curtains on the run and they saw all the snow (a good four to five inches here) I'd really like to let them out to play in it but I'm worried they'll just end up wet and cold. :? They've never seen snow before and are desparate to get a better look and get in it :lol:

Will they be ok if I let them out for a little bit or is it best not to unless they are indoor buns and can get warm and dry properly? Should I try to dry them after? Basically is there any specific things i'd need to do if I wanted to let them in the snow? :D

Ours go out in it (we rarely get it down in the deep South!) have a quick hop around or rather 'crunch' around then come back inside to dry off. We don't do anything special, just put a towel down for wet feet as we would if it were raining. Ours are house buns too :D:wave:

Nino has very restricted time outside now it's winter if a very cold day due to his arthritis, but Poppy loves it. A healthy young bun is fine, more caution or restriction is required for an elderly/poorly rabbit, so it's your judgement on that front.

let them have a play! I have just let my 3 out winnie just for 5 mins and jack was shivering after 5 secs so we all came in but they had a dig and run about now they are happy just watching.
We normally just let them have few mins every now and then throughout day. They wont get soaking just feet and theyll lick them clean. You could pop a towel in the hutch so they wipe feet when they hop in.

let them have a play! I have just let my 3 out winnie just for 5 mins and jack was shivering after 5 secs so we all came in but they had a dig and run about now they are happy just watching.
We normally just let them have few mins every now and then throughout day. They wont get soaking just feet and theyll lick them clean. You could pop a towel in the hutch so they wipe feet when they hop in.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I'll let them out for a bit at dinner time. Its so exciting their first snow :love:

Gasket used to love the snow, because the run was open they always got to play in it. My new buns won't be able to play in the snow because their aviary is covered.

Mine have their brekkie then some free ranging while I am having mine - they had a great time this morning judging by the paw prints ALL over the garden :lol: Lots of silly binkies and 180 turns in the air.
They are in their covered run now but they will get out again tonight.
At last I can see them in the dark (black bunnies!)

If they are outdoor bunnies I'm sure they will be fine. Ruby loved the snow last year! Pipkin wasn't quite so impressed. I just opened up one end of their run like I do when they freerange normally so that they had the option to go back in their hutch if they wanted to.
I put a towel in their hutch and a hot water bottle (wrapped in lots and lots of towels) for them to dry off afterwards.

Mine love to play in the snow, and I love watching them! If it's their first time you must take some pictures! :lol:

Mine love to play in the snow, and I love watching them! If it's their first time you must take some pictures! :lol:

I'm going to video it :shock: not sure who is most excited me or them. I didn't get them out this dinner as I had to trail arround looking for wellies during my dinner hour :evil:

Ruby loved the snow when she went out in it...

DSC03107.jpg

i had two outdoor buns and i let them out in it. one loved it the other went all around the edge of the garden where there was less of it and them came back in :lol: i think you just have to let them make their mind up if they like it or not. :)

The last time we had snow (February) I still had Rosie, and I took her out in the snow. She didn't like it much, but then, she was 7 and had arthritis, it probably wasn't such a good idea!

045 copy by Chocolate Bubbles, on Flickr

I will definately take Islay & Jura out in it when we finally get our snow. We have about a cm so far, but getting more this weekend.

We have an inch and a half today, but I forgot to take Islay & Jura out. I will do so tomorrow! Looking forward to seeing what they think :lol:

Back