• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Spenser a bit off his greens - vet 4.50pm

susie bun

Wise Old Thumper
Spenser has always had a tendency to being a fussy nommer, but I've noticed he seems less keen on his greens these last few days. :? I find it much more reassuring if he wolves them down, especially now that there is a chance of them freezing if left lying around.:shock: I'm going to try feeding him earlier, and he is having his teeth checked next week. He seems fine in himself, in fact I think he prefers the colder weather. He seems more interested in getting out than being fed these mornings.:?

Last edited:
Same with Butters & Blackie, altho Dan & Clo still beg for their breakfast :lol:

But none of them seem so bothered about the green stuff that I pick from the garden, although they are happy to eat what I picked and dried earlier in the year.

Hope the handsome Spenser gets on OK at the Vets! Have I missed a thread somewhere? Are you taking him because he's been off his greens and suspect teeth or does he have dental problems?

Hope the handsome Spenser gets on OK at the Vets! Have I missed a thread somewhere? Are you taking him because he's been off his greens and suspect teeth or does he have dental problems?

No, you haven't missed a thread. I do have one in health as well this morning, but that's because I started this one here and then thought it was more a health matter. When Spenser was at the emergency vet in September she said his teeth were 'not bad.' With hindsight I should have remembered this and had them checked when he had his myxi booster in October.

No, you haven't missed a thread. I do have one in health as well this morning, but that's because I started this one here and then thought it was more a health matter. When Spenser was at the emergency vet in September she said his teeth were 'not bad.' With hindsight I should have remembered this and had them checked when he had his myxi booster in October.

TBH a good rabbit vet will do a full health check when doing any of the jabs, which includes teeth. Mine checks the boys fully for their Myxi, and did exactly the same 2 weeks later for their VHD.

Don't be afraid to ask the vet to check teeth, nails etc while your their for anything else.

Some chopped cabbage and a fenugreek crunchie have been accepted. :) VERY unusual for their to be pellets left in his dish at this time of day though.

Some chopped cabbage and a fenugreek crunchie have been accepted. :) VERY unusual for their to be pellets left in his dish at this time of day though.

Have you been giving him any extra because of the cold? I've been giving my boys just a few extra the past few days, and the Little boys just eat the usual amount and don't bother with the extra (altho the Big Boys scarf the lot :roll:)

It's when they refuse a fenugreek crunchie that the panic sets in :shock:

No, he has been getting his usual 'supper' allowance from my mother, but I have cut back his normal am and pm ration to only a very little more than an egg cup. This means that he is getting far less than he was when he first arrived (before I knew better), although it is much colder.

Spenser has now accepted more cabbage and two more green beans. Has also just done an impressive pile of poops in his bowl - must have done about 20 in a sitting! :shock:

When Blackie needs his teeth doing he hides it really well (stubborn little so and so), but if he take a crunchie, bites it then drops it I book him straight in for his teeth to be done.

Wish i could use that test. Ginger's mouth is so small, she HAS to drop it once she's pinched it :lol:

Susie - don't worry, you aren't the only one who counts poops :oops:

He has now eaten his pellets. :D We are getting to the end of the bag - I wonder if he objects to the crumbs that, try as I might to sift them out, do seem to go into his bowl with the whole pellets. I have put the carrier in the run so that he can have a good sniff before he has to go in it.

Back