• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Peach didn't make it

dbu13mr

Young Bun
Yesterday morning I found blood in the hutch. I took her inside for a quick look over but nothing seemed to be obviously wrong, though the fact she let me turn her on her back was worrying. However I decided not to panic, put her back in her hutch and rang the vet from work, who told me to leave it 24 hours and then see.

Got home at 5. Peach was nowhere to be seen, so either in her plastic tunnel in her hutch or in the new one she'd dug. I couldn't do anything so waited. She eventually turned up in her hutch. I took her some food but was waiting for my friend to get home so I could have a good look at her. I didn't want to disturb her too much, nor have the cat around her, nor have her free in the house and thus harder to catch if necessary. I eventually decided to bring her in and keep her in a box overnight, but when I picked her up she was noticeably unresponsive. I tilted her head back to look at her chin, which I'd noticed earlier was bear, and her head just flopped back onto my chest. So I rang the vet and took her up.

I suspect he'd been thinking I was worrying too much until he saw her, and realised she was, in his words, "slowly dying". She was also very cold (a result, not a cause, of her illness) with a very slow heartbeat. She had antibiotics, steroids and strong pain relief, and was placed onto heat mat, with warmed liquids sub-cut. But to no avail. She died sometime during the night.

She was a legend, and I'll never forget her.

Peach, RIP

No idea what caused it. She'd had a lipoma removed a wee while back and it was re-growing. Although what was removed wasn't cancerous I suppose there could have been cancer at the back of it.....? But we strongly suspect she'd been abused before she came to live with us so whether there was an underlying problem who knows. She always seemed healthy enough but you never can tell.

I'm really sorry about Peach, and also very sorry that your vet did not hear what you were saying and didn not take you seriously.

Binky Free Peach.

Back