• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

*URGENT*peanut's not eating pooing or weeing!

Bobbles

New Kit
My bpy rabbit Peanut is off his food this morning. He has had some hay but none of his pellets. I changed his cage bedding this morn(he is a house rabbit) and he hasn't pood or weed in it which he normally does straight away. he is also drinking a lot.

please help, i am taking him to vets this morning but wonder if anyone else has experienced something similar??

worried :-(

x

he is 1. we're going in 10 mins. just checked him again and he's now had a very small amount of food and he did a couple of poos while i was up there but they seemed a little more moist than normal. then he just laid down so i know he's not right.

not sure when he last went to the toilet but it may have been yesterdaty evening coz i looked in on him twice last night and he was lay down whereas he normally goes barmy when i go in. i have another rabbit who is fine.

me and peanut are off to the vets shortly so i'll update later but if you have any advice i'd appreciate it x

vet checked him over and said he couldn't see that anything was physically worng so told me to just keep an eye on him and if he's still the same tomorrow i've got to take him back. i told him he is eating some hay and has done just a couple of poos but he's given me some syringe food in case he stops eating completely. will let you knwo what happens! i hope he's back to normal when i get home from work :cry:

Sorry I didnt reply, I had to go out but I hope that Peanut starts doing better and eating and pooing more. Keep us updated. x

thanks for all your well wishes everybody. Peanut is eating hay and carrot but he still isn't pooing. I'm really worried, does anyone know any home remedies to help him poo?? he keeps going and hiding to ve on his own, poor thing :(

help please x

Its hard because we don't know exactly what's wrong.

I would suggest calling your vet again and maybe taking him in.

i gave him some fibreplex syringe food this evening and he did a few poos so i'm really hoping that come morning he will be a lot better. keep reading horror stories about something called stasis which is a killer, i think maybe i shouldn't have looked! fingers crossed for morning.

I'ld suggest some painkiller-metacam which is meloxicam from your vet. If can be given by mouth and in quite large doses (check posts on here for doses as vets that aren't rabbit savvy tend to be very cautious). Also the fibreplex is perfect. It may be worth you picking up some infacol-remedy for wind in babies. Again check the doses on posts here. Keep your little boy warm and I always find lots of cuddles help me when my rabs are poorly (can't see they do the rab any harm either!!!I think they like the reassurance)
Ask the guys on here any and every question, they know loads!!!!!
We're crossing out fingers and paws here for you xxxxxx

i gave him some fibreplex syringe food this evening and he did a few poos so i'm really hoping that come morning he will be a lot better. keep reading horror stories about something called stasis which is a killer, i think maybe i shouldn't have looked! fingers crossed for morning.

As long as the vet has rulled out a blockage you could try a gentle tummy rub, it helps move the gas along and can ease the discomfort.

thanks guys for your comments and suggestions. we have given his tummy a rub and my partner swears he let off a bit of wind but i'm not convinced! haha. either way i will use the fibreplex for the whole of tomorrow and hope for the best. i'm a little concerned that my vet really isn't that rabbit savvy but i know a vet who is so i think i will get him re-registered there. i want the best for both my buns. Will keep you updated on peanut's progress :wave:

x

Back