• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunnys are hardy little creatures!

Ambience

Warren Veteran
God only knows how they survive without gloves in this weather - it's crazily cold tonight where i am. Bless them they are all snuggled up. I'm even wondering if my indoor bun is warm enough. It's so cold in the house too...

I think i read somewhere bunnies can survive some really really low minus temperatures. I remember minus 40 degrees, but that just sounds silly now i say it back to myself.

Does anyone know what is the rock bottom temperature a bunny can survive in?

They must be, I just went out to check on mine and thought they would all be inside but no Thumper is sitting in the run not bothered one bit by the cold. It has got a roof on and have the sides covered loosely with huge sheets of plastic so he cant get wet but brrrrr and there's about an inch of snow in the rest of the garden.

I think they prefer this weather to be honest. Mine are in enclosures with hutches inside, and they invariably sit on top of the hutches (under cover but still!) rather than going in them to the lovely cosy straw!

I think it will depend on the setup as to what they can survive. In the wild, because they are so far below ground they can survive lower temperatures than thoise in hutches at ground level.

They have their own little fluffy gloves though :) Their paws are super fluffy.

Spenser seems to like the colder weather. He has quite long fur so I think even the Scottish summer was too hot for him! I am in the midst of improving the insulation of his set-up though, and am kicking myself for not having dodne so earlier.

my bunnies have a double hutch (i move the run away from it at night because of foxes) and they keep sitting on the bottom level, they have just about given up on the top level. Just sitting snuggled together next to the bars.

Drusilla and Dorest George flatly refuse to go in at night. I leave their hutch open and there's plenty of hay inside, but they just look at it with contempt and continue to do their own thing in the garden. The garden is fully fenced with solid wooden panel fencing, and extremely secure, but they must be so cold! They definitely prefer being out, though. The others get herded into sheds and hutches and do actually start putting themselves to bed if I'm late out there for any reason, but those two seem definite that out is better than in...:?

Back