• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hopefully new rabbit!

rabbitdan

Mama Doe
well as most of you know im on the look out for a new rabbit.

ive found one on gumtree which comes with hutch, hutch hugger, food bowl etc... Although it almost definetly will be one of those really cheap £50 from pets at home that are only 4ft long. She is a grey netherland dwarf from pets at home, She was brought last summer.

I will obviously be buying a new hutch that is 6ft.

my concern is that she is 1 year old. Ive had previous experiance with female rabbits (aggression). Although i will be getting her 'done' ASAP anyway

possiblypheobe.jpg

Last edited:
Be careful buying off of gumtree because you never now what you are getting. It could be a boy, it could be anythin other than a nethie, it could be ill, even severely ill.

So be VERY careful.

I would still suggest looking at a rescue and see if they could help you and adopt from them.

Tulip was a free bun from a private ad. I have spent hundreds on her in vet bills. She was one poorly bun:(

I would get one from a rescue, because it will be neutered, health checked, up to date on vacs and they will be able to tell you what temperament the bun has.

Plus if you get one from a rescue, you are actually rescuing two, as you will be freeing a space up for another bun in need.

Also what will she be living in until you get her a new hutch? It's just the hutch may be completely unsuitable/unsafe for her.

It says in your signature your getting one from a rescue? :?
How comes you've changed your mind?

I would suggest getting a bun or two from a rescue. They are already neutered and have Vacs, and you know that they are healthy.

You will be helping the rabbit, helping the rescue and helping another bun in need. And remember rabbits need friends... so that means more than 1... a pair is great :D

If you get the bun above... would you get her a friend too?

I also suggest buying the housing/hutch/essentials BEFORE getting a rabbit.

I would suggest getting a bun or two from a rescue. They are already neutered and have Vacs, and you know that they are healthy.

You will be helping the rabbit, helping the rescue and helping another bun in need. And remember rabbits need friends... so that means more than 1... a pair is great :D

I also suggest buying the housing/hutch/essentials BEFORE getting a rabbit.

i havnt changed my mind. just looking around. probebly wont get the gumtree rabbit anyway. im going to my local rescue at the weekend

You will be helping the rabbit, helping the rescue and helping another bun in need. And remember rabbits need friends... so that means more than 1... a pair is great
:D

QUOTE]

This ^^

i havnt changed my mind. just looking around. probebly wont get the gumtree rabbit anyway. im going to my local rescue at the weekend

Before you start even looking around for a rabbit, don't you want to save up and get it's home sorted first? Are you keeping it outdoors?

You will be helping the rabbit, helping the rescue and helping another bun in need. And remember rabbits need friends... so that means more than 1... a pair is great
:D

QUOTE]

This ^^

when she is spayed and vaccinated.

I would go very carefully if you even consider getting a rabbit for somewhere that won't have done a 'full service'. In particular a nethie is in my opinion way more likely to have issues with teeth - all of the nethies that have come into us be they very young or slightly older have all had dental issues and most have had to have their incisors removed. You might think that this is drastic, but a lot of pet shop bunnies will not have been bred by knowledgeable people and will most certainly have issues caused by their breeding. Badly meeting front teeth is just one of the results.

If the people who have this nethie are giving her up so quickly, there will be a reason - possibly because they got bored, but possibly behavioral, possibly health.

Do your homework before you take your new furry friend on - particularly if you do go down the private advert route. Rescuing will be a much less risky route if you go to a reputable rescue centre.

I can see the temptation of getting the little netherland dwarf rabbit but your best bet is to go to a rescue.

By the time you pay for neutering and vaccinations it will work out cheaper and you will have the satisfaction of giving a rescue bun a second chance. Rescue buns tend to be vet checked and they will be able to give you a good idea of the bun's personality. Also you will get good back up and support.

Best of luck with it :wave:

I got Riley from a free advert online and although I do love him and no other bunny would replace him I should of gone down the rescue route.
He was nothing like the advert stated. The advert said he was a very friendly bun and loved cuddles, he was totally the opposite, he cowered everytime I opened the hutch door, freaked out if my hand entered the hutch and has never enjoyed a cuddle. 6/7 months later he only just lets me give him noserubs.

Back