• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help my bunny has had babies! - Update SHE IS NOT FEEDING THEM

Sami M

Mama Doe
I woke up this morning, to find baby rabbits in Tia and Maria run :shock: They were both meant to be sisters, and i was meant to be booking to be spayed next week.
I cannot belive i am gutted, i feel like the worst mom in the world.

Ive taken Tia out (who i belive is the male) and have given maria lots more hay to keep them warm.

I honestly am not into breeding rabbits I just have them as my babies, and some advice and help would really be much apprectiated.

Thanks you much x

Last edited:
Oh dear.. these things happen my dear :cry:

Any chance of maybe getting the female and emergency spey?? This will determine whether she is pregnant and will also stop the pregnancy.. (if thats what you want, some people don't like this)

I have no experience with pregnant Bunnies

oh, then she must not go in for the operation as she is a feeding mum. if they have been together since she gave birth she may be pregnant again.

obviously you can get dad fixed ASAP take him to the vet to get his sex confirmed.

If you've got it the wrong way around obviously the new kits would starve, so it's important to be doubly sure.

Last edited:
Oh no:shock: What a shock that must have been for you. You weren't to know, and you've seperated who you belive is the male, ( might be worth a vet visit to be sure) I can't really advise anything but wish you all the best with the babies and bunnies.
Are the indoor or outdoor buns??

Shes not pregant - shes had them! There is 5 baby buns!:shock:

Oh gosh.. sorry :oops:

Well ensure she has loads of hay, and I have heard that they are best left to it, to some extent, just keep checking the nest, and touch mum before you touch any babes, if there are any dead ones when checking, remove them, because they will cool down the nest.. I also would change the thread title to Help my Bunnies had babies or something,, more people may luck, because I only know what i have read on here :shock:

ETA: I have heard that mum may be sat away from babes a lot, as they only feed a couple of times a day

The Dad is booked in for friday at the vets!

I rang my vet the minute i found them and she said not too touch them just make sure they are warm and she is left in peace. They are indoor bunnies so i have moved them closer to the radiator in the kitchen so there is no noise from the tele. At the moment they are all alive, and she just seems to be resting x

The Dad is booked in for friday at the vets!

I rang my vet the minute i found them and she said not too touch them just make sure they are warm and she is left in peace. They are indoor bunnies so i have moved them closer to the radiator in the kitchen so there is no noise from the tele. At the moment they are all alive, and she just seems to be resting x

Yeah I have heard they are best left to it!... I bet you are still in shock aren't you??

I was absolutly histirical this morning, i feel so guilty. I had to get my friend to pop over to look at them first cause i couldnt bare it if one was dead, but they are all snuggled up together so i assume she has fed them.

From what i've read here, its important to check their tummies, as best you can with minimal touch.

They should be big and podgy, like they've swallowed a golf ball!

If they aren't, i believe it means mum isn't feeding them.

Mum should have lots of hay and i believe a little more food to ensure she can provide for herself, as well as the kits.

Please dont take my word as gospel though.

I'll pray someone more knowledgeable comes here soon!

Thanks anyones advice is much appreciated. This morning before I went to work they were squeeking and moving about but now they are fast asleep in a pile so i hope they are happy bunnies!

From what i've read here, its important to check their tummies, as best you can with minimal touch.

They should be big and podgy, like they've swallowed a golf ball!

If they aren't, i believe it means mum isn't feeding them.

Mum should have lots of hay and i believe a little more food to ensure she can provide for herself, as well as the kits.

Please dont take my word as gospel though.

I'll pray someone more knowledgeable comes here soon!

You have read the same threads I have!!

You have to just let nature do the rest now hun

what a shock for you! Yes mum needs more food :wave:, I think you can feed her junior pellets as on the side of the junior pellets it gives a weight for lactating/nursing does. As far as I know, everything is as others have said.

There's a good chance the mum is pregnant again as they can become pregnant immediately after giving birth. Not a great deal you can do because she won't be able to spayed yet. Try not to feel bad these things happen unfortunately

Hi everyone thanks for your advice - just a few more questions as I have no clue about baby buns, shall i keep on feeding mum as normal? can she still have her veg?
When I have Tia (now known as Mr T) done how long before he can be bonded with my single female? (shes neutered)
How long is mum with the babies?

Sorry for the questions but you guys are so knowledgeable.

Thanks Sam x

Oh what a surprise for you!!

Yes, keep feeding mum as normal, she can also have her normal veg and grass. It's best to increase mums food as the babies will take a lot of milk and energy from her when she feeds them.

When MrT is done he should be left for about 6-8 weeks for the castrate to have it's full effect, but if the female is already spayed you can probably start to introduce them about 3 or 4 weeks after his neuter, just keep an eye thats he's not too randy!

I did think I would get a bit more advice - im completly panicing here, im so worried about Mr T he has always lived with Maria and then suddenly he is by himself I dont want him to get sad and deprested.
Anymore advice guys the more the better?

Back