• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Wish I hadn't stopped to be so nosey!

attilathebun

Mama Doe
Lunchtime I popped into my local Pets at home to buy some nail clippers for the buns. Whilst in there I had the obligatory peek in the rabbit pen and there were 2 absolutely gorgeous 10 week old minilop male rabbits.

As I was at the checkout the guy strolls in and asks where the dog muzzles are located and the girl assistant points to the aisle. I am busy paying for my goods when the guy comes back to the checkout and asks about the rabbits.I hang around a bit becuase I am curious (okay nosey :roll:) to hear what's said and I'm ready to jump in with some friendly advise if it looks like he is going to take both males.

The conversation between the guy and the assistant goes something like this

Guy: How much do the rabbits cost?
Assistant: £28
Guy: Each??? Blimey that's a lot
Assistant: Yes, £28 each
Guy: and do I need a cage or somat?
Assistant: Yes
Guy: What do they eat? is it hay?
Assistant: Yes
Guy: How much does it cost to keep a rabbit?
Assistant: I don't know. Do you want one?
Guy: Yeah, The babby is desparate for one
Assistant makes to walk over to the rabbits with him
Guy: I'll have to bring her in and let her choose

It was obvious to me that this is going to be yet another impulse buy with no thought going into what it takes to look after a rabbit. One of those poor gorgeous rabbits is probably going to end up in rescue - if it's lucky or live a wreched life once the novelty has worn off.

I so wanted to stop and give him (and the assistant) some advise but he didn't look the kind of chap to take any advice if you get my drift and would more than likely have told me to but out!

Wish I could have been stronger to say something but I bet this scene is being repeated all over the country :(

Last edited:
I had the same experience yesterday in Pets At Home... it's a haven for parents who can't think of anything more stimulating to do with their children than take them to pets at home during the day and treat it like a zoo... but a zoo in which you can BUY the animals and take them home.

I was hovering around a couple too... A woman with three kids under 5 and another on the way and her distant husband who had a black eye and was on the phone shouting at someone. :roll: They didn't buy one, luckily.

You could have said "I'm expert, I can help you if you want". From there he can refuse and you can politely go about your business, or accept and make a bunny's life much better.

grrrrrr:censored:

i HATE the garden centres by me because i'm sure some parents/grandparents see it as a 'day out' for the kids to poke at the rabbits:censored:

mind you, following a bit of a barney in there last summer, the centre in question has now covered over all of the pens:D

(no, it wasn't me!!!! it was my son - he had a go at 2 slightly older than him girls for trying to pick a bun up by its ears, parents called in shop assistant to 'complain' about my son......i was sooooooo proud of him:love:).

I think if someone was saying about the cost I'd say 'yeah boy are they expensive, I know!' and then go on to rattle off some vet bills :oops:

:cry::cry:Such a depressing story but sadly so common.

The rabbit will either end up in a rescue centre if it's lucky and hopefully get a better home or otherwise lead a sad and lonely existence once the next 'babbys' toy comes along.

I hate PAH and I am waging all out war on them. Since they opened a store 2 miles from here it has made our rescue work just seem so relentless and so unending.:cry: The rabbits get sold in the shop and 6-8months later they come in here. It is all so predictable and all so unnecessary.

A couple of weeks ago when a representative from their 'charity division' rang (in a direct response to a letter I wrote to the local paper), my eyes filled up with tears and I couldn't even talk about things. My only suggestion to them was that they sent one of the directors of PAH here for a few days work experience to clean out animals, do home checks, fund raise, do vet trips, answer phone calls, e-mails, turn away animals and get on top of all the paper work............oh and try and fit in paid work as well.

I don't know why they can't just stop selling animals.

I think if someone was saying about the cost I'd say 'yeah boy are they expensive, I know!' and then go on to rattle off some vet bills :oops:

good idea! i'll definitely blab about the costs in a very loud voice next time i see someone buying on a whim.

Well the past two months have cost...

4 x VHD vaccs = £64
4 x Myxo = £64
Consult and spray for mites = £40-odd
Consult and medication for stasis = £40-odd

So that's £200 just this month and last! And just vets! £50 each. Thank goodness I'm not spending £7 a week on hay any more or I'm not sure I would be able to afford it!

That should put people off surely :p

From the descriptions in this thread, it looks like the statements by the P@H Head of Pets about their:

• Staff training/knowledge/experience.
  • How they ask numerous questions to ensure customers know what they are taking on and the commitments involved.
  • How staff will not sell an animal if they have any doubts about its future welfare.
might be open to question.

They certainly do not appear to be implemented in practice in the stores.:roll:

Warm words for PR, perhaps? :evil::censored:

Well the past two months have cost...

4 x VHD vaccs = £64
4 x Myxo = £64
Consult and spray for mites = £40-odd
Consult and medication for stasis = £40-odd

So that's £200 just this month and last! And just vets! £50 each. Thank goodness I'm not spending £7 a week on hay any more or I'm not sure I would be able to afford it!

That should put people off surely :p

Exactly. People buy these animals on a whim and don't even give the costs a second thought because they think that bunnies are inexpensive and have no real 'needs'.

Originally Posted by attilathebun
I hang around a bit becuase I am curious (okay nosey ) to hear what's said and I'm ready to jump in with some friendly advise if it looks like he is going to take both males.

Sorry but this made me smile and think oh good it's not just me then :D It seems to happen each time I go into one of their stores. Last time it was a young mum saying to her OH that their baby wanted a bunny :shock: and wondering if they were difficult to keep. So I briefly explained what buns require and how much mine have cost me ;)

from my experience working with the socially inept in the past four years its best to stick with the basics! So you dont confuse them!

-Tell them about the vet bills. (but hey they all know theyll get treatment free from PDSA if their claiming!) So maybe exaggerate the coss of long term care

- Tell them that some bunnys are not easily litter trained! They scared of cleaning up, and the child wont do it long term!

Job Done!

(p.s watching Animal Madhouse they are giving out excellent rabbit advice, and to make it more interesting they have a blue eyed, tanned vet called James!) LOL

Back