• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Post Spay housing

VickyL

Warren Scout
Molly my house bunny was spayed today - I have a specific question with regarding to housing. Molly and her husbun Harry live in the 2 x 8 ft utility room together (no cage) - when i bring Molly home from the Vet do I need to put her into a cage for her own safety? I'm not sure if she will find this more distressing or not.

What about Harry - do I put him in with her? He went to the Vet and he was with her until she was anaesthetised and i will bring him with me again when we go to pick her up this afternoon.

Any advice appreciated.

Keep them together if they are bonded properly. I would keep them in their normal room but remove anything she could jump on. You just want to avoid her stretching her stitches.

thanks for that - Vet wants to keep Molly overnight as hasnt eaten yet - how will that affect the bond? any ideas?

Well it could upset the bond but probably won't. You will be keeping a close eye on her when she gets home anyway so just seperate them if he causes problems trying to assert dominance or something.

oops change of plans - went to visit at the vets along with a bowl of her favourites and of course Molly immediately began to eat - so Vet said we could home as long as we go back for a check up tomorrow. so we are home if a little bit sleepy - and Harry is grooming her already (just a little). fingers crossed all keeps going well and she will poo soon.

Back