• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What would you say are the pros and cons of outdoor bunnies?

Bitzy

Mama Doe
As the title says really, OH and I are going to sit down and discuss what to do about the bunnies tonight (bring them in for the winter or not) and I'd like to be fully informed so we can make a proper decision ..... so I just wondered if you'd share your pros and cons with me

Thanks, Jo x

Here's a few from me, but as I'm really tired the brain isn't in full working order - I'll probably jump back in later to agree with other peoples well thought out ideas;)

Pro's

- living as close to a natural environment as possible
- they get to see and feel the many changes throughout the day (the sunny spot at 11am, the night drawing in etc etc)
- fresh air
- freedom to choose whether to stay inside or come out to play (if you can give them the right size accommodation)
- they can make as much mess as they like
- they can see neighbouring bunnies (if you have more than one pair)

Con's

- we get cold going to visit them
- if they're poorly its harder to monitor them

I'd say my outdoor bunnies prefer being outside providing they have some where dry to shelter, a friend to snuggle up to and lots of hay and food through the winter.

Indoors you do get more interaction with the buns as you go about your day, my indoor bun does like it indoors. I couldn't put her outside now. She just wouldn't like it.

My bunnies do like being outside but whenever I've brought them indoors they seem to adapt pretty quickly and appear pretty chilled out! Hhhhmmmmm

Here's a few from me, but as I'm really tired the brain isn't in full working order - I'll probably jump back in later to agree with other peoples well thought out ideas;)

Pro's

- they get to see and feel the many changes throughout the day (the sunny spot at 11am, the night drawing in etc etc)
- fresh air
- freedom to choose whether to stay inside or come out to play (if you can give them the right size accommodation)

Con's

This :wave:

Altho' I don't mind the cold weather, but it's not so great when it's raining :lol:

I like the excuse to have to go outside plenty of times during the day :D

Pro's

- fresh air

Con's

Basically this :wave:

Also... Only you will know what is better for your buns, my Heather for example I don't think could survive without fresh air the wind her face etc.. She would go crazy if locked in the wendyhouse for 15mins!

And, is the space inside smaller they you van offer outside or vice versa :)

Also... Only you will know what is better for your buns, my Heather for example I don't think could survive without fresh air the wind her face etc.. She would go crazy if locked in the wendyhouse for 15mins!

I feel they do like to feel the wind in their fur!!

Outside they have a 15ft x 6ft aviary with a double hutch ....... inside they'd have an 8ft x 7ft bedroom and freerange in the living room in the evenings/weekend.

Basically, I'm just not as prepared as I'd like to be for winter .... its suddenly got very cold and the aviary hasn't been 'weatherproofed' like I wanted it to be and we're a bit skint just now!

Making it so that I'd be happy would mean spending quite a bit of time and money on it (and its due to snow this Friday) whereas if they came indoors I'd just need to buy a babygate for the bedroom door!

We're gonna go to B&Q tonight (during bunny in or out discussions) and price a few things!!

Pro's

- fresh air

Con's

I agree with all said , I think its great to have them indoors...but do wonder if they prefer it for activity & views & air etc outside....inside they get alotof interation - depending on your job etc - if you work away form home all day then Id think outside if more stimulating for them - they can do bunny things....indoors is not the same. Its great to be bale to build a bond with them indoors & monitor them etc...and I do think they enjoy the comforts too....
I think in or out there will be things which scare them etc - also depends on the bunnys personality - some bunnies who are perhaps older would prefer the warmth of being inside - young one I think like to play in the wind!
I think the main thing to remember is space though....the more space if better for bunny....we need to be able to really give them whats best for them & make the extra effort to create a bond where ever they end up.

Ours will have the optionof being in or out this winter...they dont have much of a iwnter coat so will have to be able to come inside but they will have an option to run about outside if they so wish to.:D

Mine get time in both, outdoors from 10.00 pm until usually 5 pm, indoors in the evenings and whever I'm at home. They seem to be fine with it, they love being indoors and binky around the living room and are spoilt rotten. But they also seem to enjoy being outside in the aviary/shed. :D

Mine get time in both, outdoors from 10.00 pm until usually 5 pm, indoors in the evenings and whever I'm at home. They seem to be fine with it, they love being indoors and binky around the living room and are spoilt rotten. But they also seem to enjoy being outside in the aviary/shed. :D

Does the difference in temperatures not bother them doing this?

I'd agree with all the pro's and con's so far. it really is just the weather/dark and the fact that you can't monitor them so well as if they are inside all the time. Also maybe you don't get to spend as much time with them if you work during the day as if they were inside? I was out until after 10pm every night in the summer with my 2 - now they take themselves off to bed between 7 and 8.
i tried mine inside when i got them and they hated it. They are very definitely outdoor buns.
Some will prefer being inside and some wouldn't mind either way I guess.
i do like them being in a more natural environment (i.e. outside) but thats not to say there is anything wrong with house bunnies (trying to avoind upsetting people here:lol:)

i would agree so far. all my rabbits are outside, and on the odd occasion they have come inside they have hated it. its too hot for them inside with their winter coats and they dont have enough space for a good run round.
obviously that depends on the sort of space you have!

At the moment I can't think of any!

Unless you like getting up early to spend hours changing frozen water bowls only for them to freeze again.

Don't mind spending hours in the freezing cold cleaning and feeding and rushing at the end because you are running out of daylight.

And are happy to spend your entire evening standing by the microwave watching endless snugglesafes go round!

If i could I would move them all inside at the moment, although I am sure the majority are quite happy out there and actually enjoy watching me running round the garden turning a pale shade of blue :lol::lol:

At the moment I can't think of any!

Unless you like getting up early to spend hours changing frozen water bowls only for them to freeze again.

Don't mind spending hours in the freezing cold cleaning and feeding and rushing at the end because you are running out of daylight.

And are happy to spend your entire evening standing by the microwave watching endless snugglesafes go round!

If i could I would move them all inside at the moment, although I am sure the majority are quite happy out there and actually enjoy watching me running round the garden turning a pale shade of blue :lol::lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Back