• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Uterine cancer

Not as far as i am aware, I have had unneutered female rabbits here that have previously been breed from and have developed uterine cancer :(

The only reliable way to prevent it is early neutering

I'd say it's not true. Out of the Lymington bunnies that we took out of the breeders back garden, a good number of them have had uterine cancers. Our Netty was a breed doe and she has had a tumor removed and is currently very ill - supspected spread of the cancer and if it is, we will lose her soon. She is 3 so had plenty of litters before we got to her.

I have read the original paper that found that almost 80% of rabbits develop uterine cancer by the age of 6, and the study was actually carried out on breeding does so it is certainly not true!

I am worried that if I get her spayed that we might lose her during the op as I've heard its quite a big op for a rabbit.

I am worried that if I get her spayed that we might lose her during the op as I've heard its quite a big op for a rabbit.

Any op for any rabbit is a big deal but in good hands the risk are lessened dramtically.

This is a no brainer - risk of cancer high, risk from GA for a healthy rabbit in good rabbit hands low - and rabbit will be much happier.

Everyone feels like that, I have a little doe who will be going in after Christmas - I've had one doe and 2 bucks neutered/spayed and I still feel exactly the same dread about this little doe. You have to trust your motivation, the skills of your vets, say a little prayer and just hope all will work out. As with humans and dogs/cats etc things do sometimes (quite rarely) go wrong but, we still have to take the advice of vets and trust them to do their best. Try to be brave about it and tell yourself it is the right thing - just ensure you find an experienced vet - ask how many ops they do? How often? How many times it's gone wrong anything that might put your mind at ease.

Any op for any rabbit is a big deal but in good hands the risk are lessened dramtically.

This is a no brainer - risk of cancer high, risk from GA for a healthy rabbit in good rabbit hands low - and rabbit will be much happier.

I agree with this. make sure that your vet is a good rabbit vet and used to performing this op

Everyone feels like that, I have a little doe who will be going in after Christmas - I've had one doe and 2 bucks neutered/spayed and I still feel exactly the same dread about this little doe. You have to trust your motivation, the skills of your vets, say a little prayer and just hope all will work out. As with humans and dogs/cats etc things do sometimes (quite rarely) go wrong but, we still have to take the advice of vets and trust them to do their best. Try to be brave about it and tell yourself it is the right thing - just ensure you find an experienced vet - ask how many ops they do? How often? How many times it's gone wrong anything that might put your mind at ease.

Oh and they will do a full health check on your bunny first, listen to the heart etc the anathestic's are much better now for rabbits I've been told.

I'd say it's much better to do the op now she is young and healthy than when you have no choice when she has cancer.

.......... by which time the cancer has often already spread, usually to the lungs :cry: So even a spay wont save the Buns life :cry: I lost Meg, a 5 year old ex breeding Doe, to Uterine Adenocarcinoma :cry: She came to me aged almost 4 having had numerous litters :cry: She was spayed and a large tumour was found in her uterus. Sadly she died 11 months later as despite the removal of her cancerous uterus some cancer cells had already migrated to her lungs :cry: She actually had to be PTS because of secondary lung cancer :cry:

This was Meg

Meg.jpg

Spaying really is the best option.

I'm sorry about Meg Jane! :(

Can I ask, please.... What's the difference between Uterine Adenocarcinoma and cancer? :? (sorry, I'm not the brightest bulb in the box! ;))

I agree with everyone. Spaying a healthy doe is pretty risk free....spaying a doe who already has Uterine cancer can be far trickier, and is far more likely to go wrong. :(

I'm sorry about Meg Jane! :(

Can I ask, please.... What's the difference between Uterine Adenocarcinoma and cancer? :? (sorry, I'm not the brightest bulb in the box! ;))

I agree with everyone. Spaying a healthy doe is pretty risk free....spaying a doe who already has Uterine cancer can be far trickier, and is far more likely to go wrong. :(

Every rabbit we have had who has had a cancerous uterus removed has died of secondary cancer between 6 weeks and 18 months later :(

Back