• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

hypothermic bun - best thing to do?

Candiflare

Mama Doe
I've just picked up the bun that's going to Alice's at Windwhistle this week from an AWFUL house. Took her straight to vet as she just didn't look right. Vet says she's hypothermic and malnourished (she's skeletal) and she has dribble all down her face and matted fur but the vet says her teeth look okay.

She's also scanning constantly and in a BIG way, but she's not REW, nor any shade of white. She's a grey harlequin. Is this normal?

Any tips on how to stabilise her?

Last edited:
Sorry, I have not advice:( but didn't want to read and run! Hope you find something to help her out soon! Sending vibes!:love:

Wouldnt the vets keep her in?:shock:

Sh said no and that it would be a long process of just feeding her up. I think the reason she is hypothermic is because she's starving. Or they're both interlinked. I've got home and am syringe feeding her critical care and mashed up pellets and banana, but just wondered if there's anything I should do to raise her temp? But I know i shouldn't raise it too suddenly, should I?

The vet also said she thinks she might need a course of antibiotics, but as she's off to a rescue, it's better to just get her there and let her get over the upheaval and then sort her out.

Poor little thing :cry:

It sounds as if she needs to stay indoors, it's dropping to freezing outside at the moment so if she has no body fat she won't be able to cope - and if she's already hypothermic a night or two outdoors now could kill her. I would just feed her up gently and gradually; if she is low weight because she has not been fed then I would just give extra portions of normal food and not give any other 'fattening' foods because that will just upset her digestion.

Grey harlequin types often do have a red tint to the back of their eyes even if you can't normally see it - maybe there's some genetic link to poor eyesight there - I have known buns of that sort of colouring be big scanners too, so I wouldn't worry unduly about that at the moment.

Good luck x

So she's had no treatment at all :?

She will need to be indoors. If she's hypothermic already she wont survive outdoors :cry:

Is she eating/drinking/pooing ?

Did the Vet check her ears and her eyesight ?

Did the Vet check for signs of dehydration ?

Vet checked for dehydration, said she was hydrated, she's taking a lot of the syringe feeds and loves the food so is obviously just really hungry. I haven't seen a poo yet.

She's indoors in a carrier at the moment as I don't think she's used to more space than this.

I'm surprised the vet hasn't taken her in, but even more surprised that she hasn't told me what to do with her as she's hypothermic. She said her temperature was 97.

She checked, ears and eyes - eyes are red - I assume she checked her eyesight with the eye exam.

So she's had no treatment at all :?

She will need to be indoors. If she's hypothermic already she wont survive outdoors :cry:

Is she eating/drinking/pooing ?

Did the Vet check her ears and her eyesight ?

Did the Vet check for signs of dehydration ?

Last edited:
Sh said no and that it would be a long process of just feeding her up. I think the reason she is hypothermic is because she's starving. Or they're both interlinked. I've got home and am syringe feeding her critical care and mashed up pellets and banana, but just wondered if there's anything I should do to raise her temp? But I know i shouldn't raise it too suddenly, should I?

The vet also said she thinks she might need a course of antibiotics, but as she's off to a rescue, it's better to just get her there and let her get over the upheaval and then sort her out.

They were wrong to say that:(,She is best not to travel untill shes a lot better

I do trust my vet and I think my vet trusts me, but I am surprised they said I could take her home.

The woman I got her from said she had, had a litter 2 weeks ago of 2 rabbits, but one died and her son picked the other up by the back leg and snapped it :cry::cry::cry:

I do trust my vet and I think my vet trusts me, but I am surprised they said I could take her home.

The woman I got her from said she had, had a litter 2 weeks ago of 2 rabbits, but one died and her son picked the other up by the back leg and snapped it :cry::cry::cry:

If she kindled 2 weeks ago and only had 2 kits I am even more worried now :cry:

No disrespect intended to your Vet but I'd be seeking a second opinion ASAP.
I would be VERY reluctant for her to travel any distance.

I had a very hypothermic guinea pig but he was so bad he couldn't move and was almost unconcious :( I managed to revive him by bringing him indoors and letting him adjust for about 15 minutes then I wrapped him in a towel and rubbed him gently to stimulate his circulation. I did this every few minutes until he was a bit warmer then put him in a box wrapped in the towel with a heatpad next to him, but not directly under him. Once he was fully concious I syringed him with warm rehydration fluid, I used dioralyte but avipro has electrolytes in it too so could be used instead. He was so much better by the time he got to the vet that they didn't believe me when I told them how bad he had been :roll: I'm glad to say he made a full recovery though :) Getting plenty of fibre in them if they will eat can help too because fibre produces lots of heat when fermented by bacteria in the gut.

From what you have said though I would be worried about other possible problems with this bunny too :(

I agree with Jane. IMO she should have been admitted and put on a heat blanket or wrapped in veterinary heat wraps and given fluids sub-cut or IV to get her fluids and sugars up. If she's back with you now I would have her in a warm room on a heat pad and wrapped up in blankets or held for body warmth. Keep her eating and her fluids up too - whatever the vet says, a hypothermic bun is normally a bun where their digestion has ground to a halt and as a result they become internally dehydrated (in the guts) even if peripherally they seem normal.

Back