• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Oh My Lord! Advice needed!

Beau Belle

Mama Doe
Hello

Very (very!) new to this Forum, and just reading thru old posts. I notice there's lots of questions/advice on indoors vs outdoors. And - I realise what I'm doing might not be good for buns..! :cry:

Poppet is 6.5months, and lives in a hutch outdoors. She has developed her wintercoat, and has a healthy appetite.
Cookie is 5.5months, lives in her house indoors ('cage' is such a nsaty word...) and has a little bit of a thicker coat, and luuurves her food.

When we're at home, the bunnies are allowed to run betwen outdoors and indoors (roof terrace, so no chance of escaping) as they please. They may spend an hour outdoors, then an hour indoors, and then an hour running in n' out like loons,, whizzing around, jumping and binkying... Is this bad for them?? We have a little bit of central heating on if we get very cold (the terrace door is usually ajar so they can come and go as they please). II don't want to make them ill. Shoukld Poppet stay outdoors, and Cookie indoors??

Please advice of best practice.:cry:

Ideally they should stay either in or out so they get used to one temperature. Is it possible to bond them and have them both inside until spring?

awwwwwwww I have a Cookie too :D Think with this pending cold spell we are going to have you should keep them at a pretty even temperature. I normally do the same as you, get mine in most nights for a play and a whizz round (even though they have 8ft run on the patio), then back out again at bedtime but it's bad for them going from heat back into very cold.

If you can keep the room fairly cool then it won't be such a shock when Poppet goes back outside and should be OK. Be a little more careful with Cookie if she is an indoor rabbit, being in the warm all the time and then popping outside in this cold could cause her a few probs, might be too much of a temperature change

Oh, I see. The idea was that they were both going to live outside in a big hutch, but Poppet took an instant dislike to Cookie (that's been resolved). Maybe I need to re-think housing. Thanks. :)

Oh, I see. The idea was that they were both going to live outside in a big hutch, but Poppet took an instant dislike to Cookie (that's been resolved). Maybe I need to re-think housing. Thanks. :)

Are they both neutered/ spayed? Were they bonded on neutral territory? It is too cold for your indoor bun to go out now but you could bring your outdoor bun in

Thanks Dinklepip - there's a lot to consider. I'm so glad I found this site ~ so much helpfull and useful info!

well if they now get on well together it seems a shame to keep them separate. Am sure they would be much happier together

tis a brilliant site for help. There is always something to learn about ya buns and you will always get the right help here

ditto at Kath. Deffo too late to put Cookie outdoors now, too cold. Would be much better to bring them both in for winter and back out again in the Spring. I do that with mine when it get's very very cold, I have 2 large indoor pens which I have linked together so they both have some room and during the day/evening I let them out to cause havoc and stuff lol

Webbkath - they arte not yet spayed. My plan was to have them both done around xmas time, but I think I need to have it done asap.

We had nightly bunny therapy-sessions in the kitchen (neutral territory), and they now get on/seek each other out. Right now, they are snuggling on the front room floor.

If either of them is indoors and want to go out, they'll sit by terrace door until we open it. More often than not, the outside seems more to their liking.

Webbkath - they arte not yet spayed. My plan was to have them both done around xmas time, but I think I need to have it done asap.

We had nightly bunny therapy-sessions in the kitchen (neutral territory), and they now get on/seek each other out. Right now, they are snuggling on the front room floor.

If either of them is indoors and want to go out, they'll sit by terrace door until we open it. More often than not, the outside seems more to their liking.

They will bond much easier once they are spayed, they are old enough now I would definately speak to your vet about it. You will need to keep them warm immediately after their op as they wont be able to regulate their body temps so maybe that could be the time to start keeping them both inside

getting pretty cold at night now so I wouldn't let Cookie go out at all now unless it's for say 5 minutes, cus of the difference in temperature

Yes, thank you. Def given me lots to think about. I want to make sure bun-buns are as happy and healthy as possible.:wave:

I have an un neutered momma bun with three un neutered daughters (they're all due in at same time had to wait for her daughters to be old enough) and if they're snuggling then I don't see why they can't be together now and go for the spay together? They've clearly associated who's boss and who the territory belongs too etc.

Have you thought about maybe bringing them both indoors, you could use a XX-Large Dog crate with shelves in as their base and let them run around. Or if you have a spare room switch of the radiator in there and move them both into there, it's warm enough for both of them then. You can also monitor a rabbits warmth by feeling their ears.

Dinklepip - soo cute!

PixieRabbit - thank you. I might go feel their ears right now! I don't have a spare room unfortunately, but will look up dog crates.

Dinklepip - soo cute!

well I think they are the cutest in the world but then I am their mum. Bella was actually dumped at a car boot very early one morning a couple of years ago, she is very lucky to be alive too and they are both absolutely besotted with each other:love:. I don't get a look in half the time now :(

Back