• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I need some new Toy Ideas :-)

mimi g

Warren Scout
Hi Guys
Can anyone recommend a toy for my buns? I get them things from the Hay Experts etc – wicker balls, tunnels etc but they destroy them immediately and they sometimes feel like a waste of money for me when they don’t even last a week.
When I just had my male dwarf lop Norman his toys would last ages, but now I also have his girlfriend Boo the frenchie who is still quite young they really go to town on things. Can anybody recommend something that they can chew and nibble but will take abit of getting through…ive seen some big wicker dog beds but am not sure if they have been treated with anything?

Any ideas would be welcome. I do give them cardboard boxes every now and again but Norman really likes to eat it, not just chew it, and I worry that he is swallowing to much!

Now the winter is coming they are spending more time in the shed and I cant spend as much time out there for fear of frostbite so I really want to keep them occupied for longer than afew days at a time!

Last edited:
Sorry I am really immature, but I thought you thread title was a bit rude! :oops: Now of course I realise that I am disgusting :roll::lol:

I use toilet roll tubes stuffed with hay, my tow bunnies love them.. they spend ages digging out all the hay and tossing them around..:D

Sorry I am really immature, but I thought you thread title was a bit rude! :oops: Now of course I realise that I am disgusting :roll::lol:

I use toilet roll tubes stuffed with hay, my tow bunnies love them.. they spend ages digging out all the hay and tossing them around..:D

I thought the same! :lol::lol:

I thought the same! :lol::lol:

Good cos I left this thread alone for a while seeing if anyone was going to say it! and well.. I just had to :oops:

Another thought for toys are those cube hay things you can get from the hay experts.. :D

Oh but just be warned my two love "Playing" with the wallpaper :roll:

Hmmmm maybe I should have worded abit better!!??? :lol::lol: Now changed! Still could sound rude though..LOL
I obviously have a squeaky clean mind! ;)

I like the loo roll idea....they are just demolishing everything within hours at the min and going through edible hay like its their last meal! I cant keep up!
Thankfully when they were house buns I managed to keep them off the wallpaper on my 1 feature wall! x

Hmmmm maybe I should have worded abit better!!??? :lol::lol:
I obviously have a squeaky clean mind! ;)

I like the loo roll idea....they are just demolishing everything within hours at the min and going through edible hay like its their last meal! I cant keep up!
Thankfully when they were house buns I managed to keep them off the wallpaper on my 1 feature wall! x

Yeah I get loads of loo rolls, get a little bit of leafy (spring green whatever) or pellett anything they love ... stuff one end with hay.. sneak the treat in the middle and stuff the other end tight with hay... I do about five of them, and keeps them occupied for ages :wave:

Yeah I get loads of loo rolls, get a little bit of leafy (spring green whatever) or pellett anything they love ... stuff one end with hay.. sneak the treat in the middle and stuff the other end tight with hay... I do about five of them, and keeps them occupied for ages :wave:

B&G demolish one of those within 3 minutes. I could seriously video them destroy it and be done before i got comfy :lol:

Another one, is an eggbox! Stuff it with goodies. Once they've chewed the latch off (they will, i promise) use a piece of hay to tie it shut or something nommable.

Lots of fun!

also cardboard boxes (cerial boxes, shoe boxes) with holes in that you can stuff veggies and hay in.

Ive also used paperbags with pellets/veg and hay in :wave:

also cardboard boxes (cerial boxes, shoe boxes) with holes in that you can stuff veggies and hay in.
My buns love those. They tend to pee in them though, so you should use boxes that you can dispose of or clean. I stuff them with newspaper strips, hay, pellets and a bit of absorbent litter, and they love to dig in them!
Also they love treat balls where a pellet comes out when they roll it around. It's very durable, you just have to recharge it every day!
Oh, and if you can lay your hands on fresh olive wood twigs, don't hesitate to grab them. My buns stripped the bark completely off them within days, they must be really tasty.

Last edited:
I go out and collect Hawthorne twigs/branches...or if you know anyone with an apple tree you could ask for some twigs/branches.... you could try dangling a carrot in their enclosure...they have to work a little bit harder for it and a good boredom breaker...well you could dangle anything really...I have a hanging basket dangliing with hay too

I love these!! We should make a sticky with step by step pictures of how to make your own bunny toys. :D

Got my blue peter head on! :lol:

ETA: I just tried the egg box with pellets in and they still havent got into it yet, given up on it for now i think.

I also gave them a loo roll tube stuffed with treat hay with a couple of pellets in the middle. Thats been completely destoyed already. Marley is on one at the moment binkying about all over the place. :love:

Last edited:
Mine like chewing on wood so wood sticks or lounging logs go down well here. They always make a mess with hay in toilet rolls so I only give them stuff like that if I'm going to be cleaning the next day, I might try the eggboxes though!

Back