• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

The Rosie Rabbit Appeal? What do you think?

What do you think?

Its a last resort, i dont think i can get the bunny out of there unless i promise her a home with me and i dont have the money for the enevitable vet bills to get her back to being a healthy, happy bun. :cry:

Rosie (I think thats her name) the lop used to live next door, she had a 3ft hutch and had free range of the garden during the day, untill the little girl got bored of cleaning her out.

Rosie went to live with the girls gran and now spends all of her time in her hutch. The little girl once joked "shes so fat, she cant even get through the hole to her bed!" :shock::shock: Im led to believe shes fed lots of veg, no hay and is confined to her hutch to keep the cats away.

I feel i need to help her, it upsets me to think that she'll never eat grass or binky aroung the garden again, or know the company of other buns.

If i get poor Rosie out, she will need vaccinations, speying (if she hasnt already got cancer) and ive a feeling she may need a dental and thats just the start, i havent seen her for a couple of years but i know shes still alive.

You might think why now, after all this time? But ive only had buns 2 years and have only discovered how to properly care for them since discovering RU.

Ive been wondering if i can try and raise some funds to help cover the initial vet bills? Once shes over being speyed (if she can be speyed) and has got over any important treatments/procedures i can sort the other costs out. If this was a bun who I knew was healthy other than the poor care and environment then i wouldnt think twice, but i have my own pair to consider.

I just cant get her out of my head at the moment.

What do you think about fundraisers?

Last edited:
Hi Sophia,

I feel like I may have missed part of the story so forgive me if I get anything wrong.

Are the owners definitely happy for you to take the bun? It sounds like it, as the girl has lost interest and the rabbit has an unsuitable, unhappy existance at the grans house. But you're definitely 100% they want you to take her? In which case could you offer to take Rosie off their hands if they're willing to contribute some money towards her care? Just making sure I understand completely :).

Just playing devils advocate, but I would worry that people would be hesitant about donating. As special as Rosie bun is, and as much as she needs help, it is difficult to make it sound like you're not raising money for a pet. I know that on RU, to fundraise you have to follow some fairly strict rules about total raised, where the money is going etc.

Not trying to rain on your bonfire :wave: just trying to help. I would be thinking along the same lines as you if it was me.

Good luck and keep in touch about what happens xx

Hmm, difficult one :? Could you "promise" a home with you, get her out of there and then put her on the waiting list for a rescue? Or even foster her for one if that's a possibility? I know most rescues are overflowing, so you could always try and fundraise to cover the costs of her treatment, which if arranged through a rescue may be slightly cheaper than doing it yourself? They could also then help with rehoming her.

Hi Sophia,

I feel like I may have missed part of the story so forgive me if I get anything wrong.

Are the owners definitely happy for you to take the bun? It sounds like it, as the girl has lost interest and the rabbit has an unsuitable, unhappy existance at the grans house. But you're definitely 100% they want you to take her? In which case could you offer to take Rosie off their hands if they're willing to contribute some money towards her care? Just making sure I understand completely :).

Just playing devils advocate, but I would worry that people would be hesitant about donating. As special as Rosie bun is, and as much as she needs help, it is difficult to make it sound like you're not raising money for a pet. I know that on RU, to fundraise you have to follow some fairly strict rules about total raised, where the money is going etc.

Not trying to rain on your bonfire :wave: just trying to help. I would be thinking along the same lines as you if it was me.

Good luck and keep in touch about what happens xx

:wave: Thanks for your post. Im just trying to think of ways to raise a bit of extra money to help pay for her vet bills. They havent definitley agreed to me taking the rabbit as i havent yet asked them, but they have casually dropped it into conversation in the past. I am aware of her circumstances, but before i make any decisions and possible go upsetting people i know, I want to be 100% sure i can help her.

Forget the "appeal" idea though :lol: Im hoping ive found another way around it. Ill try and keep you updated though.

How about passing some info from the RWA on first? You can say that you didn't realise how much there was to know about rabbits yourself until recently, and that you thought they might be interested in the information themselves :)

How about passing some info from the RWA on first? You can say that you didn't realise how much there was to know about rabbits yourself until recently, and that you thought they might be interested in the information themselves :)

If i thought it would help i would have already done it. Shes an elderly lady and set in her ways. Many older family friends laugh at me when they see me carrying trays of food out. They say "We used t' feed ours dandelions out o' back field and fetch it all th' kitchen scraps. Was a real healthy rabbit, no wonder yours are always at vets!" :shock:

Im not tarring all old people with the same brush, but thats her way of thinking.

Back