• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Eddie's 'Grief Moult'- Just to Show What Can Happen

Jack's-Jane

Wise Old Thumper
As many of you know Eddie lost his friend Lizzie a few weeks ago :cry: Eddie was very dependent on her. I did my best to comfort him and whilst he is now doing OK he did go through several days of deep depression :cry:
This resulted in what can only be described as a 'grief moult'. No physiological cause can be found to account for the fact that his fur started falling out in huge clumps about 48 hours after Lizzie died :cry:

His fur is showing patchy signs of regrowth, but we don know if it will ever grow back fully. In the meantime he has to have a bit of Olive Oil dabbed on his skn as it gets very dry. We dont want to risk it cracking and infection setting in.

These photos were taken this morning

002-29.jpg

007-23.jpg

004-28.jpg

Awwww poor Eddie, I'm sure with all the love and kindness your giving him, he'll be feeling much better soon. :love:

Bless him. Is it falling out or is he pulling it out Jane? I know when I go through depression my hair falls out quite a bit, luckily no-one notices as I keep it short!

I do hope he gets happier soon, I know with your love and devotion he can. God bless you both. xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I have never seen anything like this before and I am going to be looking out for it in Kenzo who lost the love of his life Hope on November 5th as he is just full of grief for her still :(

I'm hoping Eddies beautiful coat will improve in time as his broken heart will heal xx

OMG poor little man that's quite shocking! I reallly hope it will grow back. My brother developed some bald spots when he went through a period of extreme stress but his grew back afterwards! Let's hope bunnies are the same! Lots of nose rubs for our brave pot man!

Poor boy. I hope he recovers soon and feels better. :( Will he be bonded again in time?

Unfortunately that is unlikely as he has so many health problems. He could not cope with the inevitable stress of bonding. He has a very poorly heart and stress of any sort causes him lots of problems.

He is surrounded by other Buns. So he does have company of a sort.

Oh bless him, lots of vibes for him, I really hope it grows back.

I have a guinea pig who I think is going through something similar, not that severe tho.

:cry::cry: poor Eddie. I think you're doing the right thing by not re-bonding he gets plenty of human love and attention :love:

Back