• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Uh-oh, looks like I've found something new to complain about...

georgie_f

Mama Doe
A lady just messaged me through my local classifieds website. For the last year or so I've been putting an advert in the rabbit section encouraging people to go to rescues/neuter/vaccinate etc.

This lady messaged to say that she had come to the Island for a holiday and had hoped to find a pet rabbit whilst she was here. She listed a bunch of pet shops and then said that the final one she went in was... not good. She said the animals had empty water bottles, no food, there were bags full of dirty sawdust just on the floor and when she asked to get a rabbit out for a cuddle, it bolted into it's sleeping area and upon opening it, she found a dead rabbit in there. :shock:

I have been in this pet shop many times before (and a friend of mine used to work there and has told me plenty of horror stories) and I can absolutely 110% believe that could be true.

Queue another letter to the Council... :evil:

:shock: They hadn't noticed there was a dead rabbit in there? :shock: I think you've got a new project! Shut 'em down! :wave:

:shock: They hadn't noticed there was a dead rabbit in there? :shock: I think you've got a new project! Shut 'em down! :wave:

Apparently not! The lady said there were bags full of dirty sawdust on the floor so presumably someone must have been cleaning them out that day. They must have either not got to that hutch yet or just not noticed at all. She had her eight year old kid with her and all. :shock: Must have been horrible!

I have to admit, normally I take the messages I get with a pinch of salt as they're nearly always the woman I rescued Jovie from trying to get my address out of me, but I didn't think I could ignore this message. I sent her a message back and said I'd email the local Council and ask them to pay the shop a visit which I've just done. Even if it is a wind up, I can't ignore that.

There aren't going to be any pet shops left on the island by the time I'm done moaning about them all! :oops::lol:

Apparently not! The lady said there were bags full of dirty sawdust on the floor so presumably someone must have been cleaning them out that day. They must have either not got to that hutch yet or just not noticed at all. She had her eight year old kid with her and all. :shock: Must have been horrible!

I have to admit, normally I take the messages I get with a pinch of salt as they're nearly always the woman I rescued Jovie from trying to get my address out of me, but I didn't think I could ignore this message. I sent her a message back and said I'd email the local Council and ask them to pay the shop a visit which I've just done. Even if it is a wind up, I can't ignore that.

There aren't going to be any pet shops left on the island by the time I'm done moaning about them all!
:oops::lol:

Good! :lol:

Thats horrific!:shock::evil: Id def get the council involved & no excuse about bags being left & hutches not attended to yet is good enough...if there are public/customers in the shop the cages should have been cleaned and checked already! You dont leave dirt mucky bags about a shop anyway....and if the waterbottle are green that means they havent been cleaned for ages & the RSPCA would get involved.
Hope you get some action - you should also get the lady who messaged you to complain....;)

:cry::cry::cry: georgie you're awesome like a one woman pet-shop-shutter-downer (you have my permission to take that as your official title :p:lol:)

Oh god how disgusting - those poor bunnies - haven't read all the thread but, what the hell is going on - about time the RSPCA/Councils got their act together with rabbit legislation - it's getting ridiculous when this sort of thing can happen:cry:

I'm not 100% sure it's a genuine message - I'm always very wary that they're from Jovie's breeder. She's contacted me in 'disguise' so many times, normally trying to come across as someone who's friendly and wants advice and then it gets to 'so where do you live/work... what's your phone number... where do you keep your rabbits?...' :shock::roll:

However, the subject matter of this new message didn't seem like the usual ramblings that she sends so I figured it wouldn't hurt to email the council and tell them that I'd recieved such a message. They can go and check it out - if there's nothing wrong then fair enough. I should think they'll find problems though as the shop is a grotty little hell hole...

:cry::cry::cry: georgie you're awesome like a one woman pet-shop-shutter-downer (you have my permission to take that as your official title :p:lol:)

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: Literally laughed out loud! :p

I'm not 100% sure it's a genuine message - I'm always very wary that they're from Jovie's breeder. She's contacted me in 'disguise' so many times, normally trying to come across as someone who's friendly and wants advice and then it gets to 'so where do you live/work... what's your phone number... where do you keep your rabbits?...' :shock::roll:

:shock: I'd report her to the police and if she dares to contact you again get an injunction out on her.

:shock: I'd report her to the police and if she dares to contact you again get an injunction out on her.

The last message that definately came from her repeatedly called me an idiot and was full of empty threats so I replied to that one with 'Message me again and I will call the police. I have no time for people such as yourself.' That was way back in June so I guess it must have put her off. I don't think reporting her would do much anyway though tbh. They'd probably think I was a little insane if I told them the whole story! :lol: Anyhoo, she doesn't scare me. I don't think she's realised that I have her name, address and phone number yet she doesn't even know if I'm male or female. :roll:

The last message that definately came from her repeatedly called me an idiot and was full of empty threats so I replied to that one with 'Message me again and I will call the police. I have no time for people such as yourself.' That was way back in June so I guess it must have put her off. I don't think reporting her would do much anyway though tbh. They'd probably think I was a little insane if I told them the whole story! :lol: Anyhoo, she doesn't scare me. I don't think she's realised that I have her name, address and phone number yet she doesn't even know if I'm male or female. :roll:

This sounds like a story I very much want to know!! Don't suppose you have a thread about all this kerrfuffle?

Good on you :)

Probably is worth being vigilant about your location etc though ;)

This sounds like a story I very much want to know!! Don't suppose you have a thread about all this kerrfuffle?

Good on you :)

Jovie's story is here - http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=216902 - it's a bit long and I think I've deleted most of the photos from there by accident but you'll get the general idea.

After all that happened, I decided to start placing an advert in the rabbits section on my local classifieds website (under a username that she would not reconise) urging people not to buy from breeders and the usual rabbit advice. Jovie's old owner obviously doesn't really appreciate them and lets me know about it every so often! :roll::lol:

Georgie, could you pm me the ad you put up? I'll put it on my local freeadd thing. :wave:

Poor bunnies! :(:( Can't believe that people could leave them like that! :cry:

Jovie's story is here - http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=216902 - it's a bit long and I think I've deleted most of the photos from there by accident but you'll get the general idea.

After all that happened, I decided to start placing an advert in the rabbits section on my local classifieds website (under a username that she would not reconise) urging people not to buy from breeders and the usual rabbit advice. Jovie's old owner obviously doesn't really appreciate them and lets me know about it every so often! :roll::lol:

That was a long read! Phew! What did u say to her to make her so keen on trying to hunt you down ever?! :lol:

Back